Tide to apply experience from ITA against Washington

The Alabama women’s tennis team will be hosting a match against the University of Washington Feb. 14 at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Indoor Tennis Facility at 3 p.m.

The Crimson Tide competed in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships this past weekend in Charlottesville, Va. The ninth-ranked Tide went 3-1 in the championships, losing the first match 4-1 to Northwestern and finishing strong by beating Baylor 4-3 and Texas 4-3.

“It was a great learning experience for our program,” head coach Jenny Mainz said. “We went in knowing it was going to be very steep competition against some of the best teams and players in the country. It was a great opportunity to get better.”

Alabama plans to use the experience gained in Charlottesville, Va. as momentum in future matches.

“I just want see us use the experience from national indoors in Virginia,” Mainz said. “I want us to springboard into this match with that courage, confidence, energy and experience and let it play a part in this match.”

The Tide comes into the match against the Huskies with a record of 6-1.

Freshman Maya Jansen said one reason the team has been successful in the early part of the season is team chemistry.

“The season has gone well so far,” Jansen said. “I think we have really come together as a team. We play for each other, we work together as a team, and I think that shows in our results.”

Washington also comes into the match with a 6-1 record, and Mainz said the Huskies will be tough team to beat.

“Washington is a good team,” Mainz said. They are battle tested week in and week out just like we are, and we’re looking for a great match with them.”

After the match against Washington tomorrow, Alabama will play one more non-conference match against Texas Tech Feb. 22 before it starts SEC play on March 1 at Ole Miss. The Tide is ready and looking forward to conference play.

“We are so excited,” Jansen said. “For me, having our first SEC match is going to be so much fun. All the teams are good, so it’s going to be a good experience. We are really hungry for it.”

The key for the Tide against the Huskies is to get off to a good start, control the match and play Alabama tennis.

“We are hoping to play our game,” Jansen said. “We’re hoping to get after them and not give them much to work with; just play our game and get a good start.”

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

Tide set to play 10th straight out-of-state game

Crimson Tide mentally prepared for Clemson

Men’s golf team to begin season with Puerto Rico Classic