Leather, sheer fabrics sure to stay trendy this spring

Finally, it’s time again to reference the spring 2013 fashion shows from months past and begin to rethink and restock your sleepy winter wardrobe.

I’ll start off with two trends I can almost guarantee I will not be caught dead in: bermuda shorts and kitten heels. I’m all for comfort, but I don’t think knee-length printed board shorts, even if they are Rag and Bone, will never have me trading in their more scandalously cut counterparts. As for kitten heels, I say go big or go home. It’s either flats or sky-high pumps for me.

I don’t think anyone was worried, but leather is here to stay. Derek Lam, Monique Lhuillier and Proenza Schouler exhibited wearable spring ensembles with leather details. I’ll let you judge whether or not Tuscaloosa’s climate is conducive to animal skins in springtime. Maybe we can stick to leather details such as a collar or hemline rather than a full-on capri-length leather pant.

Another trend trying not to overstay its welcome is sheer paneling. A sheer panel is a fun unexpected detail that reveals the perfect amount of skin to deem worthy of the Tuscaloosa night scene. It seems as though every girl wants to expose her ribcage. Emilio Pucci and Christopher Kane debuted a number of sheer white blouses on the spring 2013 runway and Prabal Gurung for Target has a few tops with sheer panel details.

It comes as no surprise that printed suits are a hot trend this spring, with the brocade dress pants and blazers in the wake of winter trends. Michael Kors and Tory Burch both have renditions of a spring-inspired suit, swapping the usual dress pant for a mid-thigh length short. I wouldn’t advise the shorts suit as an interview ensemble substitute, but a for any other occasion, who wouldn’t want to dawn matching floral from head to knee?

It’s down with the masculine inspired silhouette and in its place, fashion welcomes a more feminine 1960s shape. Moschino and Kate Spade both displayed flirty skirts and graphic prints modeled after the era of Twiggy and the mod revival. Bold stripes and short skirts are an easy way to embody this trend without looking like you’re wearing a costume.

I am not quite sure I am ready to start rocking shorts and sandals, and I will dawn chunky sweaters until I start sweating walking to 8 a.m. classes, but it is always fun to start flipping through magazines and getting into the spring fashion mindset.

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

Swimming and diving team advances to conference championships

New campus film festival hopes to resemble Sundance

Family Guy’s Seth Macfarlane should bring laughter, surprises to 2013 Oscar stage