Family Guy’s Seth MacFarlane should bring laughter, surprises to 2013 Oscar stage

The red carpet, elegant designer dresses and tuxedos, that iconic golden statue and those tantalizing five words: “And the Oscar goes to…”

These are all staples of the Academy Awards, Hollywood’s biggest night where the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences honors excellence in the works of film professionals. Seth MacFarlane, the comedic mastermind behind “Family Guy” and “Ted” is set to host the 85th Academy Awards this Sunday, much to my approval.

Hosts have always left a legacy at the legendary ceremony, whether good or bad, since its inception in 1929. The world cringed with embarrassment two years ago when James Franco left his co-host, Anne Hathaway, to do most of the entertaining herself while he looked around aimlessly with half-opened eyes. The situation’s awkwardness became a sensation in pop culture, to the point that Amy Poehler made a joke about it in this year’s Golden Globes. At the 82nd Academy Awards, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin’s highly anticipated performance didn’t nearly live up to comedic expectations.

However, audiences raved about Hugh Jackman’s witty musical numbers at the 81st Academy Awards during the recession. Billy Crystal, the host of last year’s show, always delivers good presentations and is a favorite to host, albeit unoriginal, having emceed for nine Oscars now.

It was a risky move for the academy to pick Seth MacFarlane to host since he’s not as well known in Hollywood as previous presenters. Of course, most people in younger demographics are familiar with him, but I’m not sure the older, legendary actors in attendance will view MacFarlane with the same clout as previous celebrity hosts. Sunday will be a crucial opportunity for the comedy writer to prove himself in the most important and glamorous night Hollywood has to offer.

MacFarlane has an impressive record with hosting shows. In 2011, he was the roast master at “Comedy Central’s Roast of Charlie Sheen,” where his jokes and bashes were widely praised. Charlie Sheen’s roast was the most watched at its debut of any Comedy Central roast, and MacFarlane showed the public his entertaining capabilities go well beyond “Family Guy.”

MacFarlane hosted the Emmys last year, and made audiences laugh despite an on-camera incident when he began his monologue on the wrong side of the stage with no working microphone. He made a joke about it using Stewie Griffin’s voice from “Family Guy,” and didn’t skip a beat afterward in his comedy routine. It is that kind of improvisational wit and carefree personality that makes a good host, and one aspect we can look forward to Sunday night.

Overall, I am expecting MacFarlane to deliver a highly entertaining and funny performance at the Academy Awards. Although I hope he will use his own voice and persona to deliver his jokes, I know he is fond of incorporating his “Family Guy” characters with their “show tunes” into his award show goofs. I will definitely be tuned in to ABC Sunday night and hope MacFarlane will be added to the greats of the Academy Awards’ hosts.

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

Alabama gymnastics team moves to No. 4

Crimson Tide advances to SEC championships, focuses on personal goals

New campus film festival hopes to resemble Sundance