Alabama House Bill 57 focuses on abortion, filled with lies about women’s health

There are three things that should be known about Alabama House Bill 57. The first is that the bill would make the safety requirements placed on abortion clinics much, much more strict, setting a new precedent for legislative interference in the medical field. Proponents claim this is for the sake of women’s health.

The second is that many or all of Alabama’s abortion clinics, unable to comply with these requirements, will be forced to close if HB57 passes.

The third is that HB57 is founded on lies.

One lie is that the bill is about women’s health. It is not. As things stand, only 0.3 percent of legal abortions result in complications requiring hospitalization. But when HB57 forces some or all of Alabama’s three abortion clinics out of business, many of the women who would have received safe abortions legally will have to seek out riskier alternatives. The dangers of these alternatives include mutilation, infertility and death.

Another lie is that HB57 is not intended to prevent abortions. It absolutely, unequivocally is. Rep. Mary Sue McClurkin, the bill’s sponsor, began a written statement to the press with the words, “Abortions, are, sadly, legal in this country.” State Rep. Kurt Wallace, another proponent of the bill, said it is designed to protect unborn children. And Sen. Shadrack McGill explained his support for the HB57 by explaining why he believes fetuses are people, not why he thinks the bill will protect women.

When one looks at these statements and considers how negligible any actual health benefits stemming from HB57 would be, it becomes clear what the true purpose of the bill is.

Alabama legislators, pay attention. Abortion is legal for two very important reasons. One is Roe v. Wade, in which the Supreme Court established that abortion is a constitutional right. The other is that the vast majority of Americans favor its legality – only 18 percent believe abortion should be outlawed, according to Gallup.

Because America will not support a direct assault on abortion, Alabama’s House has chosen to come at the issue sideways. Rather than accept defeat, they would twist the law and the will of Americans in order to realize an ultra-conservative political agenda whereby abortion is legal but impossible.

Legislators, your job is to represent the interests of your constituency according to the dictates of the Constitution. Your job is not to use loopholes to subvert the constitutional law according to your personal views.

Even if you believe abortion is morally wrong, you should oppose this bill. We, as Alabama residents and American citizens, cannot allow legislators to advance their agendas through deceit. We cannot abide loopholes that lead to unconstitutional laws. And we cannot tolerate people like McGill, McClurkin and Wallace, who violate the principles of a representative government.

Pro-lifers can still fight abortion through legitimate means. And supporters of HB57 need to think long and hard about what they’re willing to sacrifice to get rid of abortion.

Nathan James is a sophomore majoring in public relations. His column runs weekly on Thursdays.

Student organization to host 5k to raise scholarship funds

Few UA scholarships available for current students

Students’ Crimson email accounts stay open after graduation