Spectrum hosts Southeastern Student Leadership Conference

The largest LGBTQ conference in the southeast is coming to Tuscaloosa on Saturday, Feb. 23 and Sunday, Feb. 24.

Spectrum is hosting the Southeastern LGBTQ Student Leadership Conference, which strives to make a space for students and organizers to share stories and experiences. The conference is a two-day event. There will be speakers during both days. Saturday will be focused on general discussions about LGBTQ issues with an emphasis on liberation in the southeast. Sunday will be focused on leadership in society as a whole.

“Having southeastern-specific organizers was really important to us,” Lauren Jacobs, vice president of Spectrum, said. “We didn’t want someone from California coming in to speak for one day when they don’t know what it’s like to live in the South as a LGBTQ person.”

Conference attendees are usually college students, but the conference is open to high school students and community organizers. The conference travels each year to help promote activism and spread its message to other colleges in the southeast. Over 50 colleges, high schools and organizations have been invited to attend the conference. More than 200 high school and college students are expected to attend from all over the southeast.

“The first two conferences were held in Tuscaloosa,” Jacobs said. “This is the sixth annual conference and we are excited to be hosting it again.”

There is no cost to attend the conference, but registration is available on Spectrum’s website, spectrum.ua.edu. Registration is required in order for Spectrum to make sure everyone is accommodated and any dietary needs are taken care of.

The event will take place at Lloyd Hall, and check-in is from 9-10 a.m. For more information email UA Spectrum at [email protected] or call (205) 614-3523.

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

Student organization to host 5k to raise scholarship funds

Few UA scholarships available for current students

Students’ Crimson email accounts stay open after graduation