Object X series to incorporate ‘infinite perspectives’

Object X, a new discussion series that features speakers from different UA departments all focusing on a single random object, is to be held on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. in Smith Hall Room 205.

The first Object X discussion will focus on a clock, with different students and faculty speaking on the object. Emma Fick, project leader for Object X and a senior majoring in English, explained what speakers would possibly address in their speeches.

“Each Object X event features a single object – this time, a clock – and asks professors and students from different disciplines to deliver a five-minute speech about that object from their perspective,” Fick said. “An art historian might talk about Salvador Dali’s melting clocks, a chemist might talk about time as it relates to particle movement, and a business person might talk about the importance of scheduling and being on time.”

The speaking series also means to increase interdisciplinary communication along with encouraging students, faculty and staff to expand their horizons, Fick said.

“Too often, students and faculty alike find themselves isolated in a particular academic niche on campus, so much so that they lose sight of the larger picture,” Fick said. “Object X restores that picture by putting together many of those intellectual pieces currently scattered across campus, and at five minutes apiece, the speeches are short enough to not be overwhelming.”

With the clock as the “object x” of the discussion, students and faculty from various departments such as art, physics and even dance will have a specific subject to utilize in order to open the minds of the audience members.

Joey Weed, project communicator and freshman majoring in math, commented on how the narrow subject will affect the various speeches.

“Having limitations actually helps the creative process, and we’ll get unique speeches for such a diverse group. A professor can’t use a typical lecture but now must adapt it to talk about the clock,” Weed said. “We have encouraged them to stay true to their expertise, so with English the audience gets a taste of time in books, but since they are all talking about a clock, the audience will also still get a sense of continuity from all the different departments.”

Sticking with just one object to rely on for a focal point of the discussion, each student and faculty member will be guaranteed to make a unique speech.

Scott Hestevold, professor and department chair of philosophy, elaborated on what his speech will talk about in relation to clocks.

“I’m going to talk about what it is clocks can’t do, and I’m going to claim what clocks can’t do is measure time, which sounds odd indeed, but I think they can’t measure time because there is no such thing as time to measure,” Hestevold said. “In part, I’ll be explaining why I think there’s no such thing as time for clocks to measure. Then I’ll say a few words about what I think clocks can do.”

Hestevold’s approach is just one example of the speeches Object X hopes to accumulate over time in order to have the element of diversity of departments to engage audience members.

“Our slogan just about sums it up: ‘One object. Multiple speakers. Infinite perspectives,’” Fick said.

For more information, contact Object X at [email protected].

Clashing patterns, white after Labor Day, mixing metals now acceptable in fashion world

Travel shows don’t depict hard work, realistic circumstances of living abroad

1st Burger U restaurant opens near UA campus