‘Candide’ shines quirky spotlight on optimism

Morgan Auditorium has been transformed into an 18th-century theater for the optimistic — yet crazy — play “Candide.”

The UA Department of Theatre and Dance will present “Candide” Tuesday through Sunday at 7:30 p.m. There will also be matinees at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

This two-hour show, based off of Voltaire’s novella, “Candide, or The Optimist,” with music by Leonard Bernstein, features a man, Candide, looking for ways to cope with the troubles life is handing out. It will feature more than 30 theater majors singing, dancing and acting and an orchestra constituted of professionals and UA music students.

The performers want to give students a quirky performance that will leave people saying, “I’ve never seen anything like that before,” Erica Hansen said.

Hansen, a senior majoring in theater who plays Candide’s love interest, said she enjoys the fact that this play is not a traditional opera. She said “Candide” is full of humor and comedy. However, past the elaborate costumes and scenery, this satire also shares a deeper message. It portrays young people growing up and dealing with reality, something many students can relate to, she said.

“It’s probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a show like this,” Hansen said. “You won’t find performers like these who put their heart and soul into something so much.”

Omar Surkatty, a graduate student and marketing manager for the theatre and dance department, said there is also a message of optimism mixed in with the jokes. He said he hopes the audience leaves wanting “to make the world a better place” while having enjoyed the experience.

“It’s a very crazy play,” Surkatty said. “It’s more than a little absurd.”

Katy Montalto, a senior majoring in musical theater and telecommunications and film, plays a leading, “flirty” role as a servant. She said she hopes “Candide” gives people a better understanding of this style of theater while they have a good time.

“I hope it’s just a two-hour vacation for people,” Montalto said. “It’s a really silly show. Watch this for what it’s worth.”

Although this play might seem like all laughs, weeks of preparation have gone into “Candide” to make sure it is ready for opening night, said director and professor of theater Edmond Williams. He said the play is a huge challenge musically, and students must rehearse six nights a week. They have wanted to perform this play for a while, and things finally fell into place, he said.

“It’s a delightful show and ultimately meaningful,” Williams said. “It’s sort of ‘Monty Python’-ish.”

Students can buy tickets, which are $12, at the box office in Rowand-Johnson Hall from noon to 5 p.m. until Friday or online at theatre.ua.edu.