Four arrested players off of team, campus

The four University of Alabama football players who were suspended for charges ranging from second degree robbery to fraudulent use of a credit card – Eddie Williams, Brent Calloway, D.J. Pettway and Tyler Hayes – are no longer students at the University.

“UA’s judicial review has been completed,” UA spokeswoman Deborah Lane said in a statement. “The four students involved in the robberies on campus are no longer enrolled in UA.”

The Crimson White asked if the players were expelled by the University or if they left voluntarily, but a UA spokeswoman declined to comment on the matter, specifically.

“Judicial Affairs does not discuss disciplinary proceedings,” UA spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said in a statement. “They are no longer enrolled.”

Head coach Nick Saban said the players are “no longer associated with the football program.”

“Based on all the information we’ve received and gone through in trying to determine the future of the four guys that got in trouble, those guys are no longer associated with the football program,” Saban said in a statement. “Their actions do not reflect the spirit and character that we want our organization to reflect. It’s obviously very disappointing and unacceptable what happened. I’ve been really proud that over the last five years our team has done a very good job of their personal responsibility and how they represent the University, what they have done in the community, the classroom and on the field.

“We are going to continue to do as much as we can in personal development and character development in our program with education to try to help our guys have a chance to be more successful in life.”

Hayes, 18, Williams, 20, and Pettway, 20, were arrested and charged with two counts of second-degree robbery and Calloway, 20, was charged with one count of fraudulent use of a credit card on Feb. 11.

Williams was also charged with fraudulent use of a credit card and was arrested one day earlier on a separate gun charge.

This was Calloway’s second arrest since he arrived at Alabama. He was charged with marijuana possession in October 2011.

According to arrest warrants, Pettway, Williams and Hayes attacked and robbed two Alabama students, Samuel Jurgens and Caleb Paul, in two separate incidents. The three took a laptop, cash and an Alabama student action card. Calloway and Williams used the action card to purchase snacks from a Bryant Hall vending machine.

Hayes and Williams confessed to the robberies and Calloway confessed to using the card with knowledge that it had been stolen.

“Some people learn by words, some people learn by consequences, some people can’t learn,” Saban said.

Wide receiver Marvin Shin likely to transfer

Wide receiver Marvin Shin has decided to not participate in the team’s offseason conditioning program and is likely to transfer, and wide receiver Danny Woodson has been suspended for a violation of team rules, Saban said.

“Danny Woodson has been suspended for violation of team rules, so he’s not going to be participating,” Saban said. “Marvin Shinn has elected not to go through the offseason program. Therefore, he will not be going through spring practice or be part of the team. I’m assuming that he’s going to decide to go someplace else, but I haven’t heard that.”

Along with the suspensions and possible transfer, Alabama will be short a couple of players during spring practice due to lingering injuries.

“John Fulton is recovering from turf toe that he had actually at the end of the season, and I am not sure if he will be able to participate some in spring practice or not,” Saban said. “Kind of a see how it goes type of thing. Kevin Norwood also has a toe injury, and his status is uncertain for the spring as of now.”

Crimson Tide weight room gets $9 million makeover

Feel-good sports stories allow escape

US athletes are no longer diplomats