Tuscaloosa embraces A-Day crowd

After a national championship and a Heisman Trophy coming to the Capstone, thousands of fans and students filled Bryant-Denny Stadium, as well as businesses on the Strip, to start the new season.

Craig Williams, general manager of Buffalo Phil’s on the Strip, said they staffed more than normal for the A-Day game because of the Crimson Tide’s national championship.

“Typically, we don’t staff as much for A-Day, but we staffed more like it was a typical home game,” he said.

Williams said there were not any problems on Saturday, and they had a good crowd that just wanted to come out and have a good time.

“Usually it is when you bring in the other team is when you start getting problems, but everything ran smoothly,” he said. “We were very pleased with the turnout.”

The Tuscaloosa Police Department filled the streets with dozens of officers on Saturday to ensure the safety of the fans who came to A-Day. However, their biggest problem was not from fans, but a stalled train that blocked Hackberry Lane, as well as 10th and 12th avenues.

“It seemed that the Kansas City Southern train broke down at the worst possible time,” said Sgt. Robert Fourt. “While the train blocked the tracks, people began climbing between the carts and crossing the tracks.”

The blockage mainly affected people who parked south of the tracks and were trying to get to their cars, he said.

“We sent about 12 to 13 officers to work along the tracks, and we were concerned about the safety of the people,” he said.

Fourt said he was communicating closely with the driver of the train and his boss as they tried to resume the train’s operation.

“The train was down for about 30 minutes and there were no injuries associated with the incident,” he said.

He said there is a sort of marriage of the Tuscaloosa and University police departments to work together on game days.

“Prior to the game, we work with traffic control and security. Then during the game, we patrol the area around the stadium,” he said. “Afterward, it is our responsibility to work with them to make sure everyone gets home or on the road back out of town safely.”

“Considering we have more officers than UAPD, it is a cooperative effort,” Fourt said. “There are about 150 officers out on game days.”

Fourt said other issues included some heat-related problems in the stadium and loud party calls.

“There was some issues where people had too much to drink and things like that, but it was things we were prepared for,” he said.