Are you there, Nostalgia? It’s me, Margaret

As a writer, I’ve found that the biggest temptation in the writing process is an overemphasis on nostalgia, plain and simple.

And yes, I too tend to get nostalgic at times, especially these last days at The Crimson White. I’m not made of stone, people, nor am I Bernstein thinking about the girl on the ferry in “Citizen Kane.”

The only thing I’d like to do here is reflect on this year, throw out a couple of thank-you’s and, more importantly, get revenge on my enemies. Well, maybe not the latter, but the others will do. Here we go.

I recently came across something online that I thought was eerily prophetic, reading, “People seem to get nostalgic about a lot of things they weren’t so crazy about the first time around.” A bit Hallmark-y for my taste, but there is a certain truth that rings within it.

It seems like I’ve spent so much of my time over the years running around, writing, taking tests and studying that I’ve lost track of the time I’ve spent here, lost what was really important to me. But I digress.

So what could possibly be that one thing I wasn’t so crazy about that would muster all this nostalgia? Well, to be frank, a lot of things, but I don’t have the time or space to talk about them (geography tests and petty Facebook advocacy groups being two of many).

If anything, I would say that one thing would be, in fact, some of the days working as the administrative affairs editor here at The Crimson White.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved writing and working for this fine newspaper these last three years, but working as an editor this past year, the job had its moments. I’ve never worked harder in my life than this past year, not only taking classes and writing, but developing an entire week’s worth of story ideas by myself, overseeing writers each week and many late nights in the office working.

It’s been hard, but I wouldn’t trade any day for another. If anything, I’m a better writer, professional and thinker because of it.

Now, for a couple of thank-yous. First off, I’d like to thank the first boss I never had any hostility toward, Corey Craft. I hope you’ve forgotten about that first story I wrote for you, because I sure have.

I’d also like to thank my current boss, Amanda Peterson, for not only hiring me, but for giving me a stake in the production of this newspaper. I’m not sure if you simply got the short straw in hiring me or if you lost a bet, but all the same, you are the reason I’m fat and can watch TV.

Most importantly, I’d like to thank the group of guys and dolls that make me have one less grey hair in the morning and one less stress-reducing indulgence upon leaving the Office of Student Media late at night: my reporters. Special thanks to my paid staff — the Wills (Evans and Tucker) and Amanda Bayhi, for making my job easier and taking the craft of writing seriously. It’s been a real pleasure watching you take your writing and stretching it along the way.

To all the other writers I had the pleasure of working alongside, I’d like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedules to write for this newspaper.

To my fellow editors — Lindsey Shelton, Avery Dame, Jonathan Reed, Alan Blinder, Spencer White and Steven Nalley, I’d like to thank you guys for putting up with me on a daily basis. I’m sure my ranting and half-baked social critiques became white noise over time, but it’s nice to know I’m not the craziest person I know anymore.

Lastly, I’d like to thank anyone I’ve had a real, intelligent discussion with here at the University and my best friends, the people who know me the best. From late-night talks at Burke West to the OSM front porch to the newsroom to ten Hoor to Gnemi’s Top Shelf Tavern and beyond, I owe a lot to other people far more intelligent than I. You all know who you are.

By now, you have deciphered the code in this column and are ready to complete your next mission. This message will self destruct in five, four, three, two…

Drew Taylor, administrative affairs editor of The Crimson White, is a senior majoring in journalism and American studies. He will graduate in August.