SGA seeks directors, committee members

The SGA is currently accepting applications for directors and University Standing Committees for 2010.

SGA spokesman Ian Sams said students may apply for director positions online, or they can pick up an application for University Standing Committees in the SGA office. Applications are due by 5 p.m. today.

Sams said the SGA has no formal requirements for students who want to apply for positions as director or on University Standing Committees. Sams said the SGA wants people who apply to have a desire to serve. For example, Sams said the director and committee positions give students a voice inside the SGA.

“We want to bring in people from all across campus,” Sams said.

Katie Breseale, SGA press secretary, said the SGA has been using the play on words “SGA: We Have an App for That” to catch students’ attention and remind them that the application deadline is approaching. Breseale said the SGA started the campaign for directors and University Standing Committee members to try to get more students involved in SGA.

“We want to create a more inclusive, well-rounded SGA,” Breseale said.

Directors will work with executive members of the SGA to put together projects and reach out to different student groups. Sams said the committees work through the University rather than through SGA and are comprised of faculty, staff, administrators and students who help make long-term decisions for UA. Sams said he encourages students to apply for the available positions.

“Any student can apply for directorship in the SGA,” Sams said.

Sams said the SGA has a schedule in place to put new directors in place quickly and efficiently. Applicants will need to set up interviews with the head of the SGA office in order to obtain an appointment. The executive staff will conduct interviews Sunday, Monday and possibly Tuesday in the SGA office, and students will know the new directors by the end of Dead Week.

Sams said this is the first year prospective directors have interviewed for the positions. Members of the executive office will compose the panel of interviewers, with at least two or three members per panel to provide more voices in the interviewing process.

Upon acceptance, new directors and committee members will begin their duties immediately, Sams said.

Sams said the jobs of director and committee members are important and require dedication. The amount of time each director and committee member spends on the job depends on what exactly they have to do, Sam said, and that the jobs have no specific amount of time set aside. The main priority for the jobs is to ensure that projects run smoothly.

“They’re jobs that require energy and attention,” Sams said.

Breseale said the SGA will remove the applications Wednesday at 5 p.m., the deadline for applying.

“The most important thing to keep in mind is applying for directorship or to serve on a committee is an invaluable aspect of taking ownership of SGA,” Sams said.