Fourth annual Mayor’s Cup 5K on Saturday

Since the Mayor’s Cup began in 2007, the event has raised over $15,000 every year for the Tuscaloosa’s Pre-K initiative, and they aim to do it again this year.

Registration for the 5K Run and Fitness Walk is going on now for $20, can register from 7 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.

“As of right now we have over 650 participants already signed up, and as this event continues to grow, it has become one of the largest 5Ks in Alabama,” said Mayor Walt Maddox.

Maddox said the idea came in 2007 from an associate human resources manager to have the event, and it has been a success since then.

“We have been able to raise $15,000 to $20,000 annually for the initiative and hope to raise the same if not more this year,” he said.

The race starts in front of City Hall at 8 a.m., rain or shine, and there will be an award presentation at 10 a.m.

The route goes down University Boulevard to the Quad, and then goes around the Quad to get back on University Boulevard. Once the participants get to Queen City Avenue they go around and finish behind City Hall.

“This is a great way to give back to the community,” Maddox said. “The Pre-K initiative seeks to help at-risk 4-year-old students to prepare them for school.”

Missy Stephens, director of elementary education, said Maddox has been gracious in allowing the proceeds from the 5K to benefit the initiative.

“The proceeds provide operational funds for the program,” she said. “It is also funded from their general fund, federal dollars and the city of Tuscaloosa.”

She said they also have received a lot of support from local businesses, most recently including a $15,000 grant from Comcast.

Stephens said Comcast will also donate more money to the Pre-K initiative if people who sign up decide to run with them.

“This is a fabulous opportunity for one person to make a difference in their community,” Stephens said.

Stephens said the initiative serves approximately 250 students each year considered academically at risk.

“The students take the Dial 3 assessment to determine if they are ready for kindergarten,” she said. “Pre-K is nine months for children that are four years old on or before September 2.”

She said about 30 to 40 UA volunteers help with the initiative. Students that come to the Pre-K program learn to add, learn their colors and are adequately prepared for kindergarten.

There will also be awards at this event for the top female and male grandmaster participant, the top female and male participant and the top female and male master participant. There will also be a first, second, and third place given to a male and female in each age group.