In response to Brad Erthal’s column ‘Liberty means birth control coverage’

Mr. Erthal’s article in Tuesday’s issue is mistaken in his representation of Catholicism. He presents many errors in his column, all of which I cannot address. I will, however, address the following:

First, the church has not changed nor can she change her “view” on the lamentable fate of unborn children. If she had, and unborn children were allowed into heaven, then abortions would not only be okay; they would be commendable, as one would be sending a soul into paradise without ever having to worry or suffer in this life.

Secondly, Mr. Erthal reaffirms his incorrect statement that Catholics are bigoted because we rightly condemn homosexual acts. I believe that this is where Mr. Erthal falls into an all-too-common mistake. True Catholics love God, and because we love God we must try to love all people as God loves them.

This means if we see anything that hinders people from enjoying the love of God, then we must try our best to help them see the obstruction that they are putting in the way of their path to heaven and, as homosexuality is one of these obstructions as God himself shows in Leviticus 18:22 and St. Paul’s letter to the Romans, then we, as Catholics, cannot condone it.

Last of all I would like to say that as a Catholic, I was greatly offended by the coulmn, but I do not wish the death of the author as he has accused, nor do I wish for him to construe that I am calling him foolish.

He is only misinformed. I hope that he may see the truth and come into the loving arms of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Honor and glory to the Sacred Heart Of Jesus!

James Keller is a sophomore majoring in history.

[Letter to the Editor] It’s time to recognize pervasive problem of HIV/AIDS in this country’s women

[Letter to the Editor] Reflection on our Civil Rights past should inform future decision on LGBTQ

NCAA tournament kicks off March Madness, provides interesting matchups