English honor society Sigma Tau Delta wins award

The University of Alabama chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, The International English Honors Society, recently received a number of awards at its national convention in Portland, Ore.

Joey Gamble, a junior majoring in English and vice president of Sigma Tau Delta, received the E. Nelson James Junior Scholarship individual award. Students in their junior year who exemplify academic and community achievement are eligible to apply for this scholarship.

“I am extremely honored to have been selected by the scholarship committee to receive this award,” Gamble said. “I know that my application would not have been successful without the amazing support of the English department.”

On a group level, the UA chapter was a co-winner for the Outstanding Chapter in the Nation. This is the first time they have won this award since 1988. Additionally, more than 24 UA students were accepted as conference presenters based on either their critical or creative works. Carl Miller, the faculty representative, organized full funding for all of these students to attend the national convention.

Shea Stripling, a senior majoring in English and president of Sigma Tau Delta, was in charge of submitting the group’s application for the Outstanding Chapter award. The essay was written to argue why the University’s chapter deserved the award. There are more than 800 active national chapters.

“Outstanding Chapter is awarded to four chapters out of several national chapters,” Stripling said. “We had to submit an essay stating what kind of events and membership achievements, such as internships and literary journals, our chapter had accomplished.”

Sigma Tau Delta is an international English honor society aiming to promote a mastery of written expression, to encourage worthwhile reading and to foster a spirit of fellowship among its members. Nadia Barksdale, a senior majoring in English, said she joined Sigma Tau Delta on a whim and ended up being an active member.

“I joined it on a whim, and it’s been a good way to get in touch with the bright and interesting English community,” Barksdale said. “I was able to get an internship in New York City, and I owe them for that opportunity.”

Students who wish to join must be an English major, or have an English or language arts/education, English/New College or a minor in English or creative writing. They also must have completed at least 12 hours of English courses, including at least six hours of literature and have at least a 3.33 GPA in English courses and at least a 3.0 GPA overall.

For more information on Sigma Tau Delta, students can contact faculty advisor Carl Miller at [email protected] or current president Shea Stripling at [email protected].