Sustainability Day pushes ‘going green’

Thursday, the Business Honors Program is hosting Sustainability Day at the Capstone. This is a day filled with on-campus events designed to shed light on all of the sustainable practices on campus.

“The goal of Sustainability Day is to show students how easy it is to be environmentally friendly at UA even if the environment isn’t something you’re super passionate about,” Caroline Murray, president of the Business Honors Program sustainability committee, said. “We want to provide students useful information on what they can do to reduce UA’s impact and how to do it.”

During the day, members of the sustainability committee will hand out free items and information about sustainable practices.

“Because UA is doing so much, it can be difficult to figure out where to start if you’re new to going green,” Murray said. “Stop by the tables at the Quad or in the Ferg, and we’ll give you a starting point and answer your questions. You don’t have to sign up or commit to anything. We just want to give you a snow cone and teach you a little bit about how easy it is to be green, and all you have to commit is about five minutes of your time.”

At the same time, Bama Dining will host the “Clean Your Plate” event to make students aware of how much food they waste at the all-you-can-eat dining halls.

“[Bama Dining] will be weighing all the waste from Lakeside during lunch to show that we need to be more conscious of the amount of food we waste each year,” Rachel Barwick, marketing coordinator for Bama Dining, said.

Lakeside, Fresh Food Company and Burke Dining Halls will all feature organic and locally grown menu items, Barwick said.

“Our goal is to raise awareness regarding food waste as well as feature organic and locally grown food items throughout our dining halls,” Barwick said. “We’ll also be promoting Bama Dining’s Sustainability Packages that include a sustainable mug, organic T-shirt, reusable to-go containers, reusable tote, five pounds of food donated to the West Alabama Food Bank and a tree planted in your name.”

Sustainability packages can be purchased as a meal plan add-on for $25.