Spectrum to host 4th annual ‘Sashay, UA’ drag show

Spectrum, The University of Alabama’s campus group for LGBTQ students and allies, will be hosting their fourth annual “Sashay, UA” Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Ferg Theatre.

“‘Sashay, UA’ consists of drag performances by both UA students and local performers, as well as spoken word and musical acts by UA students,” Noah Cannon, president of Spectrum, said.

Cannon said tickets are $5, and proceeds will be used for local AIDS outreach.

“The drag show is always an entertaining, high-energy event that benefits a great cause,” Cannon said. “One-hundred percent of ticket sales and tips from the show go directly to West Alabama AIDS Outreach, a fantastic organization right here in Tuscaloosa.”

Kaylyn Johnson, political chair of Spectrum, is directing the event and said there will be a variety of acts and participants, both students and friends of The University of Alabama.

“It’s always most interesting to see the wide variety of performances that we get. Although we call it our charity drag show, and many of the acts are drag performances, we really treat it as a variety show and allow many different types of performances,” Johnson said. “In addition, people who may not be heavily involved with Spectrum often perform, so it’s exciting to see fresh faces.”

Johnson also said it’s a good opportunity for students to de-stress in the midst of finals preparations.

“Students should attend because it’s a great way to laugh and de-stress before Dead Week, and the proceeds go to West Alabama Aids Outreach, which supports people living with HIV/AIDS in our very own community,” Johnson said. “There are always a variety of events happening on campus, but it is rare that you get to see so many student voices showcased at once in a free-form way. Performers can basically do whatever they want, and even though each act is limited to around five minutes, they can perform in multiple acts.”

In addition to be a fun time for students, Johnson said the event demonstrates the support the LGBTQ community has on campus.

“I look forward to this event every year, because looking out at the audience and seeing so many people, many of whom are people I don’t know and haven’t seen at Spectrum events, gives such a sense of community and belonging,” Johnson said. “It really makes me feel like UA supports the queer community and is willing to come out to show us that.”

Admission is $5, and tickets can be purchased at the door or at Spectrum’s table tomorrow or Friday. Anyone interested in performing should email Kaylyn Johnson at [email protected] by Friday.