In response to ‘Examine Language’

As a member of Bama Students for Life, I would like to address the issues of rhetoric and respect.

The Crimson White’s editorial asking BSFL to “examine our language” was released after The CW had read BSFL’s press release. How many CW staff members saw the display and came and spoke to one of the apologists at the display? If it is the case that no member of the staff came to the display prior to writing about it, then The CW should not tell us to “examine our language” when they did not examine the full context.

Over the past several days, I have seen many posts about avoiding the display and about how our rhetoric is flawed. If any of these people had come to our display and actually discussed the issue with us, they should understand why we have deliberately chosen those precise words.

Standing at the display with pamphlets about why we use the term “genocide,” I had many good and fair discussions with passers-by. Many who were originally disgusted with us later stated they were shocked at how calm and rational we apologists were. They thought we’d be ignorant Christian extremists brimming with hate. Instead, we compassionately explained our view using science and philosophy.

We received an extraordinary amount of disrespect for our activity this week. I’ve been cussed at, flipped off, yelled at and scolded by those passing and by some on social media who never even came to talk to us. I expected this. What I didn’t expect was the amount of people who told us how disrespectful, angry, and hateful we were…. when they were the ones cursing us.

Show to me the apologist at the display who was angry. Point out the BSFLer who cursed at you. Call forward the pro-lifer who did not treat you with respect at the Genocide Awareness Project.

If you have any qualms about BSFL’s actions and words this week but did not come to the GAP display and talk to one of us, then you have not properly informed yourself and thus cannot accurately describe the level of intelligence or compassion of a BSFLer. But go ahead and write about it. You have free speech.

Amy Hase is a freshman majoring in psychology.