Bama Theatre brings film series back for summer months

The Bama Theatre’s popular pastime, the Bama Art House film series, is returning for the summer months. The series, offered during fall, spring and summer, showcases award-winning and current independent films to the Tuscaloosa community.

The Art House series is comprised of 10 films, including the documentary “Room 237” directed by Rodney Ascher, which offers various interpretations of Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 movie “The Shining.”

Pablo Berger’s Spanish silent, black-and-white film “Blancanieves” will also be featured, along with the sci-fi drama “Upstream Colorand the crime drama “The Place Beyond the Pines,” starring Ryan Gosling.

According to its website, the Bama Theatre’s mission of hosting the Bama Art House film series is “to bring current, contemporary independent film to West Alabama, transforming the historic Bama Theatre into a cinematic art house.”

The Unviersity of Alabama student body is expected to contribute to a large turnout for the film series this summer, especially with the diverse film listing.

Yostina Banoub, a senior majoring in New College at the University, said she enjoys the film series.

“I like the Art House Film Festival because it is a series of not-everyday movies,” Banoub said. “It brings new talent to the to the table and makes entertainment enjoyable without having to watch the usual, everyday Hollywood films and actors.”

Independent films and film festivals are continuing to gain large followings in American entertainment culture.

Aubry Prior, a junior majoring in geology, said she wished more indie films were available in towns like Tuscaloosa.

“The festival’s film selection this summer is pretty good,” Prior said. “I think that there should be indie film festivals year-round in Tuscaloosa, especially for those students who do not live in Tuscaloosa during the summer months, because surprisingly, there are a lot of fans of independent films in town.”

The Bama Art House film series will run from June 4 to Aug. 6, with films playing every Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. at the Bama Theatre. Tickets prices for the event are $7 for general admission, $6 for students and senior citizens and $5 for art council members. The theater is also offering a $50 season pass option, which allows patrons to see all of the films in the series at a price of only $5 per film.

Tickets can be purchased at the Bama Theatre box office or online at tuscarts.org. More information about each of the films, including cast, crew and ratings, as well as film trailers, can be found on the Bama Theatre’s website.