Don’t neglect thought-provoking classics for movie adaptations, easier reads

When I was in high school, there was nothing I liked less than the summer reading list. I thought it was nothing more than a list of dead novelists taking over my pool time. But nowadays, teenage summer reading staples like “Lolita” and “Crime and Punishment” are my favorite go-to.

While everyone else is grabbing his or her copy of the latest Nicholas Sparks novel or the steamy trash novel “Fifty Shades of Grey,” I’m reaching for Kurt Vonnegut or Henry Miller. I’m not saying that all contemporary works are subpar, but it’s safe to say that most people simply don’t care enough to read anymore.

And why should they? With most books being made into movies anyway, why waste the time to flip through musty pages when it’s much simpler (and often cheaper) to jaunt to the movie theater. Movies are more exciting than books and bring the characters to life, which is great – for those who have taken the time to read the original.

Similarly, many Hollywood renditions of popular literature leave huge things out. Any “Harry Potter” fan, including myself, can tell you the movies are vastly different from the books. And what about “The Hunger Games” or “The Great Gatsby”?

I think movies and laziness have killed the art of reading. I enjoy a modern read as much as some, but instead of reaching for something that sounds like it was written by a 12-year-old, go for a book that stimulates your mind. Reading books with the same plot line and the same characters over and over, á la Nicholas Sparks or Tom Clancy, are doing nothing for your intelligence.

So how do you know if a book is good? Generally, you’ll hear about it. Gems of novels are a rare find these days so when one is unearthed, reputable reviewers like The New York Times let the public know. Also look for authors with a positive reputation for writing. I personally love Chuck Palahnuick and Stieg Larsson, who wrote “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

In some cases, movies can encourage peaople to pick up the book, but I feel like it ruins the surprise of a great novel or the adventure in a fun thriller. And in most instances, people won’t take the time to read simply because they don’t have to- they’ve already seen the story on film.

Perhaps I’m not giving the public enough credit, but with all of the constant book-to-movie Hollywood blockbusters, it seems like originality is lacking and has been replaced with lazy, disposable literature. I’m not condemning you if you don’t pick up “War and Peace” for the pool, even I don’t have that kind of time. All I’m saying is be more thoughtful in your reading choices. We live in a culture with endless options, so if you don’t like one classic, don’t write off all of them.