Exhibit remembers 1963 press coverage

An exhibit showcasing photographs taken during former Gov. George Wallace’s Stand in the Schoolhouse Door recently reopened as part of The University of Alabama’s “Through The Doors” series. The yearlong series commemorates the 50th anniversary of the desegregation of the University in June 1963.

Originally located in the W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library during February 2007, the exhibit is now on the second floor of Gorgas Library in the Pearce Foyer. Students, faculty and community members can enjoy the exhibit until August 2. The images highlight the world’s press coverage of “Segregation’s Last Stand” at the University.

The exhibit is a collection of photographs of 32 international newsmen. In total, 324 newsmen were present, including 201 newsmen from out of state. The photographs of the reporters and media representatives were taken by Camille Elebash, a Tuscaloosa native. She published the photographs in Graphic, a Tuscaloosa weekly newspaper owned by her and her husband.

Mary Bess Paluzzi, associate dean for special collections of University of Alabama Libraries, said the overall impression reporters were left with after visiting the University was positive.

“The press corps would leave Alabama with a positive impression of the University administration and student body. June 11, 1963, was a well planned event for the press corps,” Paluzzi said.

Aside from various photographs of the 32 photographers, a copy of the newspaper from Graphic is on display. Inside the article, UA President Frank A. Rose offers his appreciation for the peaceful conduct students and staff demonstrated June 11, 1963. The photographs show people sharing single cups of water on the hot day.