UA Natural History Museum plans 2 canoe trips

Students and the Tuscaloosa community are invited to participate in the Alabama Museum of Natural History’s North River Canoeing event on Lake Tuscaloosa. This daylong event will be held on Aug. 1 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. And participants must stay with the group for the duration of the day.

Registration is $25 for museum members and $30 for non-members. The day includes transportation to the lake and a canoe rental. Participants are encouraged to bring their own lunch, bug spray and a change of clothes. On-site registration is available for those who arrive prior to 8 a.m. Participants will meet at Smith Hall before departure.

The North River Canoeing event has been hosted for several years. Only 20 participants are allowed to be in each group. Each member needs to be 10 years or older and able to swim. Participants will enjoy lunch at Treasure Island county park after a full day on Lake Tuscaloosa.

Savannah Pendleton, a student assistant for the Alabama Museum of Natural History, said she believes the event benefits Tuscaloosa in multiple ways.

“The North River Canoeing event strengthens the community by allowing residents and students to explore the natural environment of Tuscaloosa,” Pendleton said. “Relaxing on Lake Tuscaloosa is a great way to wrap up the summer during the final weeks before school.”

On Aug. 2, the Alabama Museum of Natural History will also host a canoeing event on the Coosa River for participants 12 years or older. Participants will see Spanish moss in the trees and ride down the Moccasin Gap. This event is reserved for experienced swimmers and those with previous canoeing experience. The event will last two hours longer than the North River Canoeing event. On-site registration is available prior to 8 a.m. at Smith Hall before departure. The cost is $20 for museum members and $25 for non-members.

To register for the North River Canoeing event or Coosa River event, call 205-348-7550 or email [email protected].