Hopefuls to try out to become next Tuscaloosa Idol

Correction: “American Idol” auditions were held on August 21, 2013, not August 22, 2013 as originally reported. The correction has been reflected in the story below.

“American Idol” is once again heading south to try for talented hopefuls. On August 21, the “American Idol” mobile bus tour will stop at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater, its third stop in a five-city Southern bus tour from Little Rock, Ark., to Winston-Salem, N.C.

Participants must bring with them two forms of identification and the release form found on americanidol.com. Registration begins at 8 a.m., and auditions will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The state of Alabama has proven successful throughout AI’s 13 seasons, with winners Reuben Studdard and Taylor Hicks and runners up Bo Bice and Diana DeGarmo.

Justin Oliver is missing the first day of his freshman year to audition for “American Idol” for the fourth time. Oliver made it to Hollywood his junior year of high school but was cut.

“It was the first time someone from Tuscaloosa had made it that far, and I wasn’t able to make it to Atlanta auditions last year,” Oliver said. “Then they posted they were coming to Tuscaloosa, and I literally lost my breath. So tomorrow I plan on auditioning, and I’m just hoping for the best and dreaming with my eyes open. That’s my little catch phrase. I’m really excited.”

Oliver plans to keep his audition song a secret.

James Borland, a senior majoring in finance, sings in bars around Tuscaloosa and plans to try his luck auditioning online singing Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning.”

“Everyone told me I should give it a shot, so I just thought why not, especially with the online thing. It makes it a lot easier,” Borland said.

Students can audition Wednesday at the “American Idol” bus or enter a video online at americanidol.com.