Week of Welcome connects new students with campus life

Starting this week, The University of Alabama will host a Week of Welcome, which consists of two weeks of programs designed to ease first-year and transfer students through their transition into being a part of campus life.

The events kicked off Sunday at Coleman Coliseum with carnival-style activities and free food from Tuscaloosa restaurants. Monday, the 49 hosted a social inside Bryant-Denny Stadium for out-of-state, international and transfer students, who received words of encouragement from UA athletic director Bill Battle.

“He’s an amazing speaker,” Doug Fair, president of the 49, said. “I would say this was a success.”

Fair said the goal of the event was to make it easier for students to get to know each other and get a foothold in the community.

William Coppess, a freshman from Memphis, Tenn., said he only knew one other person from his area who was starting at the University, and they hadn’t met until two days before. He said he felt like he knew a lot more by the end of the 49’s event.

“When I moved in, I was really nervous, not knowing anyone,” Coppess said. “I’m starting to recognize people more. It’s getting a lot better.”

Latoya Scott, the coordinator for WOW, said the events are meant to help students meet individuals who are very different from themselves and those with common interests.

“Our goal is for students to get connected to the campus and the community,” Scott said. “It may be as simple as hot topics, where they can discuss issues with social media and how social media will play a role in their education. It could be the Career Center that will help them plan their future.”

Out of all the WOW events, from the Welcome Back Breakfasts to the fun-filled Night at the Rec, Scott said the upcoming event she most wanted to highlight was Get on Board Day Aug. 29, the last day of the WOW.