University transit system provides efficient service

University of Alabama students new to campus might be intimidated by the travelling coded dots on TransLoc’s transit system app, but the restless icons could just be a student’s best chance when it come to making it to class.

Ralph Clayton, director of transit services, said the system has undergone changes both major and minor to better accommodate students this year.

“There have been renovations at the transit hub to improve bus flow and efficiency of service,” Clayton said. “An additional bus lane was created so that buses should flow quicker in and out of the bus hub.”

Clayton also said additions include a new bus shelter and dedicated bus lane built for apartment routes to stage, pick-up and drop-off, and the addition of an off-campus route to the Lofts at City Center.

On-campus routes remain the same as last year, including Gold, Green, Blue, Crimson, Crimson Express and Blue Express. Clayton said they have been working with student focus groups to improve the Downtown and 348Express bus routes. Those recommendations will be implemented some time in the fall semester.

Drew Malone, a freshman at the University, has already begun to use the transit system to go to class.

“It took some getting used to, but it’s been the easiest way for me to get around campus,” he said. “The route I use takes me everywhere I need to go.”

Clayton said the applications found on ua.transloc.com and 348ride.ua.edu as well as their matching smartphone apps will be especially helpful to students who want to effectively and efficiently use the transit system.

Blake Sellers, a sophomore majoring in operations management, said freshmen should use the app to get acquainted with their most-used routes.

“It’s super convenient. If I’m running late to class and I need a certain bus, I know exactly where they are. I can decide when to walk and when to wait,” Sellers said. “Be familiar with the routes. Know where they go.”

Sellers, who takes the bus from his parking spot to campus, gave the system high marks for always available and accessible.

“The bus is faster and more convenient [than my car],” he said. “My route’s always efficient for sure.”

In addition to the bus system, the University offers 348-RIDE, an on-demand transportation service that connects campus and residential areas when buses are not running. The service area includes campus and neighborhoods between Greensboro Avenue to the west, 15th Street to the south, Helen Keller Boulevard to the east, and Jack Warner Parkway to the north. You can request a 348-Ride pickup online by going to 348ride.ua.edu using your laptop or Internet-connected phone.

A Sunday afternoon shopping shuttle transports students to Midtown Village, University Mall and Target. Students can also use the Downtown Express and Airport Shuttle, as well as charter services.

For Sellers, however, the transit system’s appeal goes even beyond its breadth.

“The bus driver is always super friendly with the students,” he said. “They’re always super welcoming.”