Sigma Gamma Rho looks to expand

The Sigma Gamma Rho sorority chapter at The University of Alabama is recruiting new members for the fall and spring semesters.

The chapter, which had many members who were already UA graduates, was reactivated in the fall of 2007 by four UA students. Currently, only one member is left.

Sigma Gamma Rho chapter advisor Equiller Mahone said worldwide, the group has 85,000 members with more than 500 chapters spanning across the United States, Bermuda, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Germany and Korea.

There is no specific number set for how many new members Sigma Gamma Rho will take this fall and spring semesters, and interested applicants can fill out an application packet.

Founded at Butler University in 1922, Sigma Gamma Rho aims to enhance life within communities. The sorority’s slogan, “Greater Service, Greater Progress” defines the sorority’s commitment to service.

From Aug. 29 through Sept. 6, Sigma Gamma Rho will host a gas card giveaway. All UA students are invited to participate by following @zealouszetachi on Twitter and retweeting during the selected days. The account with the most retweets will be selected to receive the gas cards.

In September, Sigma Gamma Rho will host a Krispy Kreme fundraiser. During the week of Nov. 10, various events will be held to honor the sorority’s founding. Several Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Awareness events will also take place this semester.

Mahone said the sorority contributes to the UA community.

“I personally feel Sigma Gamma Rho gives young ladies yet another option when they are researching and thinking about possibly becoming a member of a sorority,” Mahone said. “Sigma Gamma Rho continues to provide service for the campus and general public by advocating and promoting awareness for various causes such as HIV/Aids and Cancer Awareness.”

Sigma Gamma Rho plans to grow on campus and leave a positive impact and legacy at the Capstone. If membership continues to grow, the sorority may look to obtain a house in the near future.