Council makes curfew changes, Tuscaloosa Air Show next weekend

In January, the council adopted an ordinance, effective May 1, establishing a curfew law for children under 18 including daytime hours.

After continued study of the curfew ordinance, the council decided to take out the section regarding daytime hours after the University expressed concern.

“The University has a lot of potential students on campus in the daytime, and we realized they would be breaking the curfew law if we left it as it was,” Mayor Walt Maddox said. “We adopted the ordinance in January and left this time for the consideration of any needed provisions.”

After the provision, the current curfew law will deem it unlawful for any minor to be in a public place and remain there from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. on any Sunday through Thursday and 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

The penalties for being in violation of the law the first and second times will be fines, but the third offense will be a fine and potentially six months in jail.

“Our initial purpose for this was to deter high school dropouts, but we found the daytime portion of the ordinance provided some complications,” Maddox said.

Alongside the curfew changes on the agenda, the city council passed a resolution for concessions to be sold at the second annual Tuscaloosa Air Show.

On May 8 and 9, around Tuscaloosa, you will be able to hear and see presentations at the air show such as the US Navy Blue Angels and Army Golden Knights.

The air show is free to the public, but reserved seating is available for purchase. Reserved seating is $20 a day and Chalet seating is $50 per seat each day. Traffic is expected to be heavy on both days and there will be one-way traffic flowing into and out of the airport.

City Clerk Tracy Croom said the air show came to Tuscaloosa for the first time last year, and it was a great success.

“There will be concessions, a kids area and there will be helicopter rides,” she said.

She said it is going to be a big weekend for Tuscaloosa because the University’s graduation is on Saturday and Mother’s Day is on Sunday. The air show is being held on both days.

There are also volunteer opportunities to help with the air show, and there is more information about how to apply at www.ci.tuscaloosa.al.us.