University needs bipartisan discussion from both sides, open minds

You’ve heard the saying before – a chain is only as strong as its weakest link – we all have. We rolled our eyes in high school at the motivational posters lauding teamwork littering our teachers’ walls. But I wonder now if our college classrooms wouldn’t benefit from the cheesy colorful posters.

There are many issues on our campus right now that could divide us as a student body irreparably if we let them. With tensions between greeks and non-greeks higher than I have ever experienced in three years at the University, it would be easy to be swept up in the “us versus them” mentality. It’s easy to have someone on whom to pile all the blame, but right now, what The University of Alabama needs is bipartisan discussion that leads to opened minds on both sides. This shouldn’t be a war within the University – we should all be fighting this together.

Discussion between two people or groups who disagree is healthy and part of the college experience. We came to this school not just to get a degree, but to have our eyes opened to other viewpoints and even have our own opinions change as we grow and learn more about the world. And despite the seemingly glaring differences between a person who’s in the greek system and a person who isn’t, you’d be surprised at how few members of either side fit the stereotypes that have been perpetuated.

University of Alabama students are great at fostering lively discussions amongst the student body. The new series of speeches, Tide Talks, is one example of educating and informing students about new topics. A forum engaging the University about relations between greeks and non-greeks might be beneficial in our growth as a school.

Debate is almost always a good thing, but right now it might be wise for us to choose our battles when it comes to getting into arguments. The Scottish comedian Craig Ferguson had a great point when he pointed out, “There are three things you must ask yourself before you say anything. One, does this need to be said? Two, does this need to be said by me? And three, does this need to be said by me now?” If what you want to add to a discussion will not benefit anyone but yourself, you might want to rethink saying it.

Unity is always absolutely imperative as a University, but especially right now. We really are only as strong as our weakest link, as clichéd as it sounds. University of Alabama students have to come together, if only for discussion, or this wedge will just be driven further and further in.

Beth Lindly is a junior majoring in journalism. Her column runs biweekly on Tuesdays.