Swimming and diving team ready for season opener in Mississippi

Expectations of Alabama’s ability to excel in SEC swimming and diving competitions are reaching new heights. Alabama head coach Dennis Pursley’s first recruiting class is considered the team’s best in decades, both in numbers and quality.

With a freshman class of 27, including a cast of swimmers and divers from Cyprus, Icelan d, Switzerland, Russia, Canada, Australia and Poland, Pursley is confident his team will continue to progress from last season.

“We want to see a significant step towards a national championship,” Pursley said. “These freshmen are expected to make immediate impacts. Many returning swimmers and incoming freshmen have represented their countries in the Olympics.”

Optimism for the season is also due to a highly intensive training schedule, including a combination of rigorous core work, weight lifting and cardio that is done year-round in addition to actual swimming and diving.

Most coaches in the sport feel their players need recovery days but not Pursley.

“We don’t buy into that,” Pursley said. “We tell the swimmers that there are 24 hours in a day, and you’re working four hours per day, so you have 20 hours to recover.”

Junior Phil Deaton is well indoctrinated into the regular swimming schedule of two hours in the morning, two hours at night and weight lifting three days a week. He balances this physical exhaustion, which lasts year-round, on top of his academic workload in chemical engineering.

Deaton has a list of accolades that include serving as team captain at his high school alma mater Bob Jones, being a member of six Alabama High School State Championship teams and becoming a U.S. Open qualifier, all on top of making the National Honor Society.

Despite all this, Deaton humbly reinforces Pursley’s emphasis on the team over the individual and his battle cry of attitude, character and commitment. This mantra is painted around the pool in the aquatic center.

Deaton applies the slogan when leading by example.

“I try to improve my times as much as I can,” he said. “If you’re not leading by example, then you can’t be a vocal leader.”

But, when asked about his proudest i ndividual accomplishment, Deaton brought everything back to the team.

“My proudest moment was during last year’s SEC Championship,” Deaton said. “It really brought the team and staff together.”

The SEC is regularly at the top of NCAA swimming and diving. A team from the league has taken home the championship since 1999.

The Crimson Tide doesn’t open SEC play until Nov. 7 against Florida in Gainesville, but its season opener is Friday in Cleveland, Miss., against Delta State. Its first home meet is Oct. 12 against Florida State at 11 a.m.