Abandoning the Wallace stereotype

“Segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!” Fifty years ago, before the shooting and death of Medgar Evers outside of his home in front of his family, months before Dr. King would expound on his social and moral dream of racial equality, and months before a bomb ripped through the basement of a Birmingham church claiming the lives of four innocent girls, Alabama’s governor stood under the portico of the state capitol and gave his inaugural speech with these infamous words: “Segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!”

The governor drew a metaphorical line in the dust and “tossed the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny.” This tyrant he spoke of was the Supreme Court’s 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision and the federal government’s attempt to integrate The University of Alabama. Later that year when the governor attempted to make good on his promise by blocking the admission of two well-qualified black students, the University was silent.

Fifty years later, despite the University’s reticence, the racial make up of the University is as diverse as any university in the South. Minorities are scholars, athletes, coaches, professors and deans. Although diversity is embraced, and is often peddled on signage and websites, ethnic enclaves continue to exist that resist integration and reflect a microcosm of Gov. George Wallace’s Stand in the Schoolhouse Door.

Again, two well-qualified students seek admission, this time to fraternal sisterhood and social prestige, only to be blocked by power, position and authority.

Much like 50 years ago, other students are eager to accept them and anxious to open wide the doors of amalgamation, but Wallace’s attitude of exclusion and prejudice exists within the levels of power and influence – and again, the University is silent.

Instead of the secret behind-the-scenes meetings and the empty rhetoric about barriers, real or perceived, the president and board of trustees should draw a metaphorical line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of bigotry.

When will this institution, with all of its storied racial history, take a firm definitive stance against deeply divisive and racist incidents such as these? When will the president or the board of trustees issue a strong statement condemning attitudes of prejudice of any kind? When will Alabama rid itself of the “Wallace” archetype?

The Rev. Samuel Lee White is a 2011 graduate of The University of Alabama.