Kentuck hosts “The Paper Lady”

What: June Art Night features the 2009 Kentuck Festival of the Arts Best of Show Katy Dement, music, Kentuck for Kids activity, Open Studios and cob oven goodies.

When: Thursday June 3, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Where: Kentuck Gallery and Courtyard

Kentuck Art Night will bring in the summer with a celebration and display of the work of aspiring artists. The event, which kicks off at 5 p.m. in downtown Northport, marks the debut of a show that will continue until June 26.

The Kentuck Art Center is featuring the work of Katy DeMent, who is also known as “The Paper Lady.” She was named Best of Show Artist at the 2009 Kentuck Festival, which was named Alabama’s most authentic American Experience by Time Magazine, according to the Kentuck website.

“What I like about Kentuck is the variety of work they bring to Tuscaloosa,” said Michael Martone, a former board member of the Kentuck Museum Association and a professor at the University. “They are always striving to do something new, and they approach art as something the entire community can be a part of, not as a removed activity.”

Having been a papermaker for more than 20 years, Katy DeMent uses only paper to create the pieces in her collection. Her work is found in galleries and museums worldwide and has been featured on HGTV’s “Crafters Coast to Coast”.

She has a variety of 2-D and 3-D work including paper clothing, interactive shadow boxes and wall sconces.

The recent works of Kentuck Full Moon artist Emily Tipps will be on display as well. Tipps is the founder of High5 Press, and teaches Book Arts and Creativity for New College at the University.

The Full Moon Emerging Artists Program supports new Alabama artists as they display their works. The studio artists are also opening their doors to allow the community to meet the artists and see works in progress.

The center is under the new direction of Jan Pruitt, whose main goal is to bring art and the Tuscaloosa community together.

“It is important for people to come together in a public setting and exchange ideas,” she said. “With pizza, handmade gelato bowls and art, Art Night is a great place for a date.”

The Vout Family Contraband will be playing in the Kentuck courtyard. The studio is also adding a fundraiser for tonight‘s opening. For $10, they offer a handmade bowl by Studio Artist Kerry Kennedy to go along with gelato. There will be free bread and pizzas fresh from the cob oven for Art Night participants.

Regular hours for the gallery are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 10am-4:30 pm. For more information, visit www.kentuck.org.