Mayors make annual wager on Iron Bowl outcome

Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox and Auburn Mayor Bill Ham have renewed their annual Iron Bowl wager, though like the game itself, the stakes have been raised.

The mayors have held friendly wagers over the game in the past, like having a plate of ribs from the loser’s hometown barbecue joint delivered to the winner. When an EF4 tornado hit Tuscaloosa on April 27, 2011, they agreed to have the wagers benefit their respective charities instead.

Last year, Ham made a $25 donation to Tuscaloosa’s Storm Recovery Fund after Alabama beat Auburn 49-0. This year, the two mayors have upped the ante even further.

“We decided to raise the stakes because it’s for such good causes,” Maddox said in a release.

If the Tide wins, Ham will make a $100 donation to the Tuscaloosa Pre-K Initiative. The initiative was created to help provide academically at-risk young children access to pre-kindergarten programs. According to the National Institute for Early Education Research, Alabama ranks 33rd in the nation for access to pre-k programs. The initiative serves more than 250 preschool students in the Tuscaloosa City School system.

If the Tigers win, Maddox will make a $100 donation to the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Lee County. The Boys and Girls Club is dedicated to providing programs, services and a positive place for young people, particularly those who might be overlooked by other youth-focused agencies.

“The Iron Bowl is always interesting and exciting, and this wager has become a tradition for me and Mayor Ham,” Maddox said.