Dorm residents face potential fines

At 3 a.m. the morning after The University of Alabama played LSU just across the street, water flooded the third floor of Harris Hall and flowed all the way down to the first floor before measures were taken to fix the problem.

“It made it smell really gross,” said Abbey Lewis, a freshman majoring in restaurant, hotel and hospitality management and a Harris Hall resident. “It was really disgusting.”

That was not the first flood at Harris Hall this year.

Darby McQueen, a freshman majoring in telecommunication and film and a Harris Hall resident, said someone on the third floor stuffed napkins in a sink and turned on the water. She said the floor and the ceiling below were damaged.

“No one really knows who did it. Both times it happened it was on a gameday, so some people think it’s the opposing team coming because during gamedays, we do have a lot of people coming into our dorm since it’s right by the stadium,” McQueen said. “But that doesn’t seem plausible since it’s both gamedays and we didn’t play the same team twice.”

Although no culprit has been found, the evidence leads some students to believe there is someone to blame.

Alicia Browne, director of housing administration, said it has not yet been determined whether residents will have to pay for the damages.

“No group billing of the residents has taken place,” Browne said. “Residents have been told that that is a possibility, but that hasn’t been decided yet.”

It is also uncertain how much residents would have to pay if billed. Lewis said residents attended a floor meeting and were told that if no one claims responsibility for the damage, all residents would have to pay.

McQueen said she talked for nearly two weeks about writing a petition to protect students from having to pay for the damages until she learned that it was in her housing contract that residents may not start petitions.

Another concern is that most students are required to live on campus their freshman year, so they do not have a choice but to sign the contract. The fire alarms also went off during each of the floods, forcing residents to evacuate the dorm in the middle of the night.

“So we’re all tired, and we’re all angry because we don’t want to have to pay for it,” McQueen said.