Seniors, alum suggest UA bucket list

When asked about his college experience, Chris Joiner, a 2013 alumnus, does not recount the time spent in his classes or the library. Joiner said spending the night at Coleman Coliseum for football tickets, getting fries at Quick Grill and going to the cliffs at Lake Nicol are some of his most memorable moments at the Capstone.

Joiner said these experiences and traditions like trying to get onto the roof of buildings, visiting “old” Bryce Hospital in Northport and trying to discover the tunnels under Gorgas all served to help make memories before he graduated.

“I regret the times I’ve sacrificed time with my friends for something I thought would help me get a better job or put something on my résuméthat didn’t really matter in the end,” Joiner said. “We’re all so busy that it’s so easy for us to say no to fun things. Make sure to balance and make time for those things because it’s just as important to relax and have fun.”

Zac Cochran, a senior majoring in criminal justice, said students should eat a national championship BLT sandwich, which boasts 15 pieces of bacon, at Rama Jama’s before leaving the University. Cochran also said he recommends graduating seniors find the hole-in-the-wall places like the barbecue restaurant Brown Bag in Northport.

“These experiences add a little excitement,” Cochran said. “You can go through life not really trying other things, but be open minded, and you’ll be surprised and have fun. College isn’t just about learning by the book. It’s about living.”

On top of going to Rama Jama’s, Andre Fedd, a senior majoring in general health studies, said students have to go to a gymnastics match and the art museum on campus before they graduate. Fedd said he also attended a softball match and found it was a different experience than football games, but it was entertaining to watch something that does not get a lot of recognition.

“Enjoy college while it lasts,” Fedd said, “It’s important to know about your surroundings because it is a part of why you chose the area and the University.”

Amy Deeble, a senior majoring in speech pathology, said she suggested going to the Kentuck Art Festival and a wheelchair basketball game. She said these events were a one-of-a-kind experience because they are unique to Tuscaloosa and campus. Deeble said she saw the wheelchair basketball team working out and decided to go to a game.

“It’s important to explore things even if you think it’s something you’re not interested in just to check it out because you might find a new passion,” Deeble said. “If you have the time, go for it. You have nothing to lose.”

Lynne Adrian, chair of the American studies department, also said students should go to a gymnastics match, eat at City Cafe and just try eating something new. She said the traditions at The University of Alabama are all part of the college experience.

“College is partly about trying new things,” Adrian said. “If students enjoy it, they feel connected. Later in life, when talking with other alumni, you can talk about and relate to these experiences.”