Festivals bring variety to every stage

As many of you know, there have recently been quite a few exciting lineup releases for summer music festivals. Many music lovers might say they are thankful to live in an age where festivals are trendy and easy to come by, but is it almost to a fault? How are we expected to pick just one? And why does every lineup release have to be so stinkin’ good?

Realistically, because of busy schedules and lack of funds, we won’t able to attend every glorious music festival we’d like to this summer. Let’s face it, for the typical college student, summer is looking less and less like a break. Instead, it has evolved into a time for internships or jobs, a time for us students to work toward an ultimate career goal (yikes).

But hey, don’t get discouraged. The process of elimination has the ability to work wonders. If you only have enough money or time to attend one festival, why not make sure it’s the perfect one for you? Here’s a little categorization for a few of the already-released-lineup festivals.

If you want culture:

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, also known as Jazz Fest, has been an annual celebration of the Big Easy’s culture and music since 1970. Located in the historic Mid-City, the festival offers two weekends of live music, authentic food and crafts. With headliners like Eric Clapton, Arcade Fire, Phish, String Cheese Incident, Vampire Weekend and Bruce Springsteen, Jazz Fest is bound to be a musically unforgettable, culturally enriching experience.

Dates: April 25-27, May 1-4.

If you’re going mostly for the music:

Although this summer will only be the second year of Atlanta’s Shaky Knees Festival, with a lineup as solid as this year’s, they have made it loud and clear they’re in for the long haul. Honestly, I don’t think I have ever been more impressed with and excited about a lineup. All you need to know is Modest Mouse, Alabama Shakes, The National, Local Natives, Spoon, Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros, Cold War Kids, Violent Femmes, Iron & Wine, Jason Isbell, Lord Huron and Conor Oberst, as well as many incredibly talented up-and-coming artists like Houndmouth and Dawes, will be there.

Dates: May 9-11.

If you want the environment:

Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival on Mulberry Mountain near Ozark, Ark., is quite the escape. With scenic views, hippies and plenty of space for camping, mountain biking or yoga, this festival could double as an outdoor vacation. Going strong since 2004, Wakarusa’s attendance has grown each year. A place of eccentrics and counterculture, Wakarusa will be an artistic experience. Headliners include STS9, The Flaming Lips, John Butler Trio and Umphrey’s McGee.

Dates: June 5-8.

If you want it all:

Hangout Music Festival, located in Gulf Shores, Ala., truly offers it all. At the first festival to ever be on a city beach, attendees have the privilege of enjoying each show with feet in the sand. Hangout Fest’s lineup appeals to many different listeners because of its wide variety of artists both big and small. Some artists include Outkast, The Killers, The Avett Brothers, Pretty Lights, Ingrid Michaelson, Jack Johnson, Wiz Khalifa and The Black Keys. Along with great music and the beach, the festival offers a huge, Instagram-worthy Ferris wheel, yummy food and plenty of places to just hang out.

Dates: May 16-18.

Another all-encompassing festival is Bonnaroo, located in Manchester, Tenn., of course, so be sure to look out for that lineup release coming later this month before any major decision making.