Binge drinking is no laughing matter

Editor’s Note: The parody Twitter account mentioned in this letter has since been edited and no longer includes the description quoted by the letter’s author.

It seems that Tuscaloosa restaurant T Burger has decided to launch a new advertising campaign via social media, by creating the Twitter account “MoreThanUThink,” a thinly-veiled parody account of the popular LessThanUThink campaign against binge drinking. While I’m sure whoever at T Burger that created this account was proud of its supposedly clever way to encourage patrons to stop by during the snow days, they widely missed the mark on this one.

The description reads, “Its college, build up your tolerance and drink MoreThanUThink you can. A parody account at the University of Alabama by T Burger.” (And yes, they misspelled “its”.) Since then they have tweeted encouragements for students to chug, as well as pregame and postgame classes. The official T Burger Twitter account is listed as a follower of “MoreThanUThink,” which makes this embarrassment even more disappointing.

As a bit of background information, the LessThanUThink campaign was created by the University’s Ad Team in 2009 to encourage students to make responsible choices while drinking. The campaign has received national recognition through grants and awards, and it has since spread to campuses across the country. So it’s a bit odd that a restaurant that has held fundraising events for this year’s Ad Team would turn around and make fun of one of its most popular campaigns.

It seems to me like a couple of employees got bored while at work and decided to try to draw in a few extra customers. The problem here is that T Burger, whether through direct creation of the account or implicit endorsement of it by following it, is blatantly encouraging students to over-consume alcohol and to put themselves in potentially dangerous situations. Sure, most places in Tuscaloosa are fans of increased alcohol sales, but even bars know when someone has reached their limit. To mock an initiative that encourages students simply to make smart choices is boldly stating that profit is to be prioritized over our well-being.

Binge drinking is one of the most serious issues facing college students. We are all encouraged by our peers to funnel beers, take shots and, in general, get drunk every time we consume alcohol. Moderation is not a typical word used by college students, which can lead to nights you either don’t remember or wish you could forget. While I’m certainly not here to put down drinking, I do admire those who encourage students to indulge safely. We all know to take care of each other when we’re out. Why, then, is a restaurant pushing us to do the opposite?

If T Burger created this account, I encourage them to reconsider its marketing campaigns. If not, they should unfollow the account and demand whoever on their staff created it to take it down. There is no need to put down positive initiatives for your own gain. Maybe instead, you should, oh I don’t know, advertise your burgers? Cheap advertisements mocking others are no way to gain support, and they certainly won’t draw in more customers. The creation of this Twitter account was disrespectful both to the Ad Team campaign and to students in general. TBurger, it takes LessThanUThink to make a fool of yourself on social media.

Mary Sellers Shaw is a senior majoring in Communication Studies and New College.