Unique gift ideas for Father’s Day

By Jordan Staggs

Father’s Day is looming just around the corner—June 20, to be exact—and if you’re like me, you’ve been trying to decide what to get Dad for a few weeks now. Sure, there’s always the option of giving him a tie or a wallet, but he probably has plenty of ties he never wears already.

Then there’s the obvious gift from a UA student to his or her father: some sort of University of Alabama paraphernalia. I don’t know about yours, but my dad has a plethora of Bama T-shirts, hats and even golf club head covers. I want something new and exciting this year.

But, maybe you don’t want to just buy a card or gift. There are other things to do with Dad for the one day of the year that Mom gives over the reins of “boss of the house” to him. In fact, for those of you who live in Tuscaloosa, or Alabama in general, there are some great options to help make this Father’s Day a memorable one—even on a college student’s budget.

Catch a baseball game. The Crimson Tide may have just finished up its summer season, but the Birmingham Barons are in full swing, and will be hosting a game series June 16-20 at home against the Jacksonville Suns. If you’re in North Alabama, the Huntsville Stars and the Montgomery Biscuits—yes, biscuits—will be battling it out in a five-day series on the same dates.

Hit the water. The whole state is full of amazing lakes, rivers and creeks. The gulf might be out of the question this Father’s Day, but don’t let the oil stop you from having a good time on the water. Alabama head football coach Nick Saban sure won’t.

“My dad loves going to our lake house in Georgia for any holiday to get away,” daughter Kristen Saban said. “We all take the boat out and ride around listening to his favorite songs from The Eagles. He’ll take my brother and I tubing, which is really scary. Never let Coach Saban pull you on a tube, or you’re in for one heck of a ride!”

Don’t have a boat? No problem. The UA Student Rec Center has kayaks and canoes for rent.

Enjoy Alabama’s past. Maybe your dad is a history buff. Tuscaloosa has plenty of history to share. Take him on a tour of the old State Capitol site, located at the end of University Boulevard. Or take a trip down to Moundville Archaeological Park and see where Tuscaloosa got its start. Then of course, there’s always the Alabama Natural History and Paul “Bear” Bryant museums, located right here on campus.

See a movie. It may sound boring, but Dad will appreciate having the chance to go with you. Let him pick the movie, buy his ticket and don’t forget to treat the man to some popcorn. Some flicks showing that Dad may like include The A-Team, Jonah Hex, Grown Ups and The Karate Kid (if you’re taking younger siblings along or you just want to see Will Smith’s son kick butt).

Have “family time.” Being a parent is a full-time job, so let Dad kick back and enjoy his favorite meal, or have a game night with the whole family. It’s not as lame as you might think.

My mom will cook dinner, and we sit down as a family and enjoy the meal,” Kristen Saban said. “After that we usually sit down and watch ESPN and discuss what is on, or watch a good movie. We don’t do too much, but being together is the best part, and I know we all love the time that we get to have.”

If you’re just looking for a simple gift to say “Thanks, Dad,” there are some cool options that maybe you haven’t exhausted yet on previous Father’s Days. Try going to Woods & Water if your dad is a nature guy, or check out www.oldglory.com for classic sports and music T-shirts. The Rolling Stones tee I got my dad for his birthday was a big hit.

No matter what, though, just be sure to tell him “Happy Father’s Day.” It will mean more than any gift.