Academic Honor Council looks to increase membership

The Academic Honor Council, a student-driven organization that promotes academic honesty, will soon welcome a wave of new members with an induction ceremony in April.

“We work to promote honesty campus-wide [by] collaborating with other student organizations, giving students study incentives and making ourselves known as a supportive group,” Robbie McCalley, AHC member, said.

(See also “Campus hosts academic integrity week“)

The AHC sends special invitations to potential applicants according to their class rank and GPA. Becoming a council member is highly competitive, Carol Duncan, administrative assistant to the vice president for student affairs and vice provost, said. Students must receive an invitation in order to apply for membership.

John Lovett, council advisor and assistant director of student conduct, said applicants answer several essay questions and undergo a stringent interview process. The AHC is still in the process of selecting new members, and the deadline for applications is March 7.

“Membership is qualified by hard work academically and the desire to promote honesty among UA students,” McCalley said.

(See also “UA sees decline in student academic misconduct cases“)

Mark Nelson, vice president for student affairs and vice provost, said there are honor councils in each college on campus. The heads, or chief justices, of each council also serve on a university-wide council.

“What we hope is that by having honor councils in every college, the conversation about academic integrity will be more robust and more transparent with the students, so that will decrease the number of [academic misconduct] cases that we have,” Nelson said.

While he has not seen a significant increase in cases of academic dishonesty at The University of Alabama, Nelson said incidences are on the rise nationally.

Students who are brought up on charges of academic misconduct may appeal their cases and have them reviewed by the AHC, Nelson said. Council members then provide a recommendation to the dean regarding the appeal. Though members do not rule on the case, they do offer their insights and opinions.

The AHC induction ceremony will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 3, in Morgan Hall.

(See also “We need to ensure that Alabama is recognized for its academic excellence“)