Now is not the time to give up on Anthony Grant

The Alabama men’s basketball team has seen better days. Crimson Tide fans are used to at least seeing Alabama as a bubble team around this time of year. This year, however, Alabama is in bad shape.

But head coach Anthony Grant can’t be blamed.

Known as a football school, The University of Alabama doesn’t put much hope into basketball championships each year. A simple look into the stands at Wednesday night games in Coleman Coliseum will show you that. But that doesn’t mean fans don’t dream of basketball titles in Tuscaloosa.

This year, Alabama sits at 12-18 on the year. There will be no postseason unless the Crimson Tide can pull off a stunner and win the SEC Tournament in Atlanta, Ga., as winning the tournament means an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.

But several factors have gone into this disappointing year, and some of which are completely out of Grant’s hands.

Players have been quick to leave the Alabama program. Last season, Alabama lost key players such as Devonta Pollard, Moussa Gueye and Trevor Lacey. Who knows how the 2013-14 season would have turned out with those players on the team?

Grant runs a defense-first team, so you won’t see Alabama light up the scoreboard each night. It’s safer to expect a defensive battle in the 50s or 60s. This style doesn’t fit those who want to play in the NBA. It is very easy for someone like Lacey to transfer to North Carolina State where he should get to shoot and score more.

Will Grant have to adjust his style to accommodate the needs of high school blue chip prospects across the country? That remains to be seen. But Grant has done well in recruiting and has arguably his best class in the 2014 class that will be able to play next season.

Alabama fans need to give Grant a chance to turn this basketball program into a winner. That doesn’t happen overnight.

The 2014 season is a wash for Alabama basketball. But the future is bright, as most players will be returning next season, along with a stellar recruiting class. Losing senior guard Trevor Releford will hurt, but Alabama has guards that can lessen the blow with strong seasons next year.

As Alabama fans watch other teams play in the NCAA Tournament, it’s important that they trust in Grant and understand it takes years to get to where those teams are.

NCAA tournament teams are not made overnight. Recruiting classes, tradition and talent build these programs. With a little luck and some key players returning in 2014, Alabama fans can expect the Crimson Tide to be back in the picture next season.