Lloyd Hall to add Chick-fil-A, Pizza Hut to dining

This fall, Lloyd Hall will receive new dining options, adding to its recent openings of Boar’s Head Deli and Java City Coffee.

The new additions will include Chick-fil-A and Pizza Hut, said Matthew Mackey, the marketing director for Bama Dining. The additions, which are collectively being named Stewart’s Corner, are located on the first floor of Lloyd, which is also home to the University’s New College.

Mackey said he’s thrilled about Stewart’s Corner opening in the fall and has already had positive feedback from students.

“We have only just recently had our soft open at our new facilities and people seem to already be very pleased,” he said. “The individual locations will have varying hours, but [Stewart’s Corner] will be open during the week from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

“This particular location was chosen for several reasons, first and foremost being student feedback,” Mackey said. “The student response we have received has been overwhelmingly in favor of having a new dining location closer to the academic hubs of campus, specifically near the quad.”

Justin Warren, a sophomore majoring in telecommunication and film, said he thinks the new dining additions provide the opportunity to communicate with others and learn more about Lloyd.

“I think that the new dining in Lloyd is a great choice overall,” he said. “Although, I do think that a Chick-fil-A is not needed because we already have one.”

Although a Chick-fil-A is already on campus, Mackey said, Stewart’s Corner will offer breakfast, unlike many locations in the Ferguson Center’s food court.

“The question we get most often regarding the new location is, ‘Will it be open for breakfast, and if so, will it serve Chick-fil-A biscuits?’ We will absolutely be open for breakfast, and we certainly will have Chick-fil-A biscuits.”

Paige Washburn, a sophomore studying prelaw, said she loves the new transformation of Lloyd and is excited about the new dining features.

“I like the remolding a lot and think that the new eating places are great,” she said. “It’s conveniently located near the Quad, that way I can eat without going out of my way. I also like the Pizza Hut addition because its gives me another choice of pizza and I can still use my Dining Dollars.”

Michael Steinberg, a professor in New College, said he thinks the additions are good, but Bama Dining could have had more of a variety when selecting which restaurants to add.

“The New College renovations are great, and we also have the best location on campus,” he said. “The food choices for the first floor are Pizza Hut and Chick-fil-A and are not the healthiest places to eat.

“Although I am sure the foot traffic will lead to some curiosity in Lloyd Hall, I do envision some crowd issues,” Steinberg said. “The stairwell is already very crowded during class breaks, and the smell from the fryers might also be problematic.”