Hundreds take part in Krispy Kreme Challenge

Running a mile on a stomach full of a dozen doughnuts might sound like a nightmare to most runners, but Krispy Kreme and Big Brothers Big Sisters of West Alabama held such a race in Tuscaloosa on Saturday.

Early Saturday morning, about 600 people showed up to the Government Plaza to eat a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts and run two miles around downtown Tuscaloosa for the city’s second annual Krispy Kreme Challenge.

Evan Smith, who owns the Krispy Kreme in Tuscaloosa, donated about 635 dozen (7,620 individual) doughnuts for the runners to eat.

“We love giving back to the community,” Smith said.

(See also “Krispy Kreme Challenge a road race with a twist“)

The event raised money for Big Brothers Big Sisters of West Alabama, an organization founded for the purpose of mentoring at-risk children in the community. The first Krispy Kreme Challenge event began 10 years ago in North Carolina, but has now made its way all across the country.

Rachel Coleman, a senior majoring in public relations and social work, helped organize the event and said an estimated 600 people turned up in support of the cause.

“We’re hoping it will grow every year,” Coleman said.

Competitors paid $35 to pre-register or $50 on site to take part in the competition. Coleman said the event brought in about $15,000 in sponsorship, and all of the proceeds from runners will go directly to Big Brothers Big Sisters. She said organizers won’t know how much money was raised by this event until later this week.

(See also “UADM hosts fundraising ‘for the kids’“)

Participants began the morning by running a mile around downtown Tuscaloosa, starting at Government Plaza. Each participant was then given a dozen doughnuts to finish before running another mile.

Participants could choose whether or not to eat them. To be eligible for the cash prizes for top three finishers, runners were required to eat a dozen doughnuts.

Mallory Young, a junior majoring in environmental sciences, and Ashley Ifert, a junior majoring in fashion retail, who both competed in the event, said they were able to finish the laps around downtown, but not the doughnuts.

“We didn’t eat the doughnuts, but we are very impressed by people who can,” Ifert said.

Young and Ifert said they participated in the event last year, and when they heard it was happening again this year, they signed up.

“It’s a good event,” Young said.

Because of the success of the event, event coordinators said they expect it to take place again next year.

(See also “Students help with Secret Meals program, aid schools“)