UA hosts 1st Border Clash meet

Austin Bigoney

The University of Alabama track and field team will host the first Border Clash meet Friday at the Sam Bailey Track and Field Stadium. The meet will feature a total of six teams from Alabama and Mississippi, including Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Samford and Southern Miss.

“It came about as an idea that I had to increase interest in our program, as well as those at several other schools in the Alabama-Mississippi region,” head coach Dan Waters said. “It’s the type of meet we feel most of college track and field should be having – something appealing to fans while also including a unique cooperative feel among schools that normally merely compete against each other.”

(See also “Alabama claims multiple victories at home“)

Sophomore jumper Justin Fondren, a native of Oxford, Miss., said he is looking forward to seeing some of his high school teammates.

“It’s always fun seeing them at different meets and to interact with them again and see how they are doing,” Fondren said.

This weekend, team members are looking to improve from the 18 victories during last Saturday’s Crimson Tide Invite.

“I’ve been pleased so far because we’ve come out with the right mental mindset each time, and we’ve followed it up with good performances,” Waters said.

(See also “UA sprinters win national titles“)

Freshman Quanesha Burks said she has been focusing on her events and not worrying about what kind of competition she could face.

“I’m more focused on myself and getting better,” Burks said. “I know if I’m consistent, I will break other goals and set personal bests.”

Burks will compete in the women’s long jump and the 4×100 meter relay again this weekend. In last week’s meet, Burks, Remona Burchell, Dominique Kimpel and Brianna Sims set a new meet record of 44.32 in the 4×100 meter relay.

The Border Clash is an all-day event with field events starting at 11 a.m. and track events beginning at 5 p.m.

(See also “Crimson Tide hosts invitational track meet“)