Conference gives undergraduates chance to present research

A record 600 students will present research findings during The University of Alabama’s annual Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Conference at the Bryant Conference Center on Thursday.

The seventh annual event, hosted by the University’s office of the vice president for research, will include poster and oral presentations by undergraduate students, who will compete for cash prizes and earn experience presenting or defending their research projects before judges.

Carl Pinkert, vice president for research, said the conference is a student-focused event that represents a hallmark of the undergraduate experience at The University of Alabama.

“This conference unquestionably enriches undergraduate education in many ways – from the opportunity to showcase research efforts to building self-assuredness and public presentation skills,” Pinkert said. “The conference captures hard work where students are able to study, create, discover and perform in almost any academic area they choose. The event is an activity where students can explore their academic interests that quite conceivably may become a lifelong passion.”

Pinkert said the conference gives students an unlikely opportunity to strengthen their skills and confidence in an academic, research-based and competitive setting.

“Students learn how to present their ideas and research efforts both effectively and in a public forum,” Pinkert said. “Here, they also have the opportunity to network with other students, both undergrads and graduate students, and with faculty.”

Chandra Clark, event mentor and professor in telecommunication and film, went on to explain that research and extensive exploration into a subject is usually reserved for graduate classes, but the Undergraduate Research Conference and Creative Activity Conference gives students the chance to share some of their work in a more public way.

“Students prepare a professionally produced and detailed poster that highlights their work, and then they stand near it while people come by to ask them questions and evaluate their work,” Clark said. “For oral presentations, it is typically a PowerPoint, Prezi or Keynote presentation where students walk the audience through their area of research.”

Clark said it’s especially fun to watch students throw themselves into a project with a different passion than just getting a good grade.

Dusty Hawkins, a presenter at the event and a senior majoring in geology, said being able to work closely with faculty and learning how to apply what he learns in the classroom to a real project is an amazing experience.

“This conference is just another step forward for me in what will hopefully turn into a successful career,” Hawkins said. “The goal of this conference for me is to better my presentation skills, become comfortable discussing my research, gain valuable feedback on how to perform better and be able to see what UA has to offer as research.”