SGA to review constitution this fall

The University of Alabama’s Student Government Association will conduct a full review of their constitution this fall, according to Katie Breaseale, the SGA Press Secretary.

The review, which Breaseale said the SGA would conduct in a transparent and inclusive manner, is the result of a vote by the 2009-2010 SGA Senate at the end of the spring semester. The last known comprehensive review of the constitution was in 1996, when the SGA was brought back to campus, Breaseale said.

According to SGA President James Fowler, the review followed the course of the University’s natural growth.

“We have recognized that it’s time to investigate the possibility of updating our government documents,” Fowler said. “This decision spawns from our deep need to modernize and make our SGA more representative of the students at our growing university.

“I have charged myself and our administration to create the most transparent, accountable and inclusive student government.”

While the entire constitution will be reviewed this summer, SGA Attorney General Ryan Sprinkle was chosen as the executive officer overseeing the project.

“The SGA Constitution review process is an opportunity to foster greater ownership among the student body in their governing process,” Sprinkle said.

Sprinkle and his office staff will begin the planning process for the review, with the actual review occurring during the fall semester with the full SGA and student population present.

“Our student government can only govern when all students are represented,” Sprinkle said.

The review will be open to formal recommendations by the student body, Fowler said.

Breaseale said all UA students will have adequate time to review and offer suggestions to the constitution before recommendations are presented to the Senate later this year.

“Two of the ways that students will have an opportunity to voice opinions and ideas are in person at SGA-hosted discussions regarding the constitutional reform, and through the SGA website,” Breaseale said.

Ben Baxter, a UA alumnus and College of Engineering Senator for the 2009-2010 year, supported the spring push for the review.

“The review and revision were necessary,” Baxter said. “And I’m glad our Senate [2009-2010] was able to get that in motion.”

Baxter said that accountability, accessibility and practicality were high on the list of necessary changes. He added that the spring push included many revisions that did not make it to the approved review.

“Most of the helpful revisions were shot down by the majority vote,” Baxter said. “I think most of the student body would have appreciated those revisions.”

For any changes to the constitution to be put to a vote by the student body, the Senate must pass legislation approving the changes.

“Any proposed changes to the constitution will likely be on the Homecoming ballot this fall,” Breaseale said.