News On Campus

News On Campus: Briefs for Wednesday, June 18, 2014

College Bound Pre-Collegiate Program hosts graduation lunch

Twenty-seven high school students in the College Bound Pre-Collegiate Program will attend a graduation lunch Friday, where Lucas Boyce will speak. Boyce, the director of business development and legislative affairs for the Orlando Magic basketball team, will speak about his experience in the child welfare system. The program, a partnership between the nsoro Foundation and Alabama REACH. Participants took part in academic talks, observed a class and took a practice ACT exam.

Journalism professor wins award for dissertation

Scott Parrott, assistant professor of journalism, is the Nafziger-White-Salwen Dissertation Award recipient for 2014. Awarded for a mass communication dissertation, the national award from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication was given for Parrott’s “An Examination of the Use of Disparagement Humor in Online TV Comedy Clips and the Role of Audience Reaction in its Effects.” Parrott earned his doctorate at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and recently founded the University of Alabama Health Communication Research Lab.

Shelton State president named

The Alabama State Board of Education named Andrea Mayfield the next president of Shelton State Community College. Mayfield, who was recommended by Alabama Community College System Chancellor Mark Heinrich, is the vice president of East Mississippi Community College’s Scooba campus. She will fill a position that has been vacant since 2012. Joan Yvette Davis, one of two interim presidents, has served since 2013.

Girls State governor elected

Wynn Woodson of Montgomery was elected governor of Alabama Girls State. An inauguration in the Zone of Bryant-Denny Stadium was held. Alabama Girls State delegates were also addressed by Alabama Gymnastics Coach Sarah Patterson during their convention.

Gerontological society recognizes doctoral student

Quentin Maynard has been selected for the Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work Pre-Dissertation Initiative. Maynard, a social work doctoral student, is recognized for his potential in the field of gerontological social work. He will receive a one-year membership to the Gerontological Society of America and the Association for Gerontological Education in Social Work and is invited to attend the 67th Annual Scientific Meeting of the GSA.