Softball staff earns award

The University of Alabama softball coaching staff was named the National Fastpitch Coaches Association South Region Coaching Staff of the Year, as announced by the organization on Wednesday.

Head coach Patrick Murphy and his staff claimed the Southeastern Conference regular season and tournament titles in the same season for the first time in program history in 2010 and were named No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament.

It is the sixth time Murphy’s staff has been named the NFCA South Region Coaching Staff of the Year. The 2000 staff was the first to be selected, and the current staff was also honored in 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2009.

Alabama had four players earn Louisville Slugger/NFCA All-region honors with three being tabbed All-Americans. Senior Charlotte Morgan and freshman Kayla Braud were named to the second team while junior hurler Kelsi Dunne nabbed third team accolades.

Murphy led the Crimson Tide to a 52-11 overall record and a 23-4 mark in SEC play. The Crimson Tide claimed the SEC Player of the Year in Morgan, SEC Pitcher of the Year in Dunne and SEC Freshman of the Year in Braud while Murphy was tabbed the SEC Coach of the Year. The four major honors in the same season were a first for a single program in league history.