UA alumnus directs hairspray

This production of “Hairspray” is under the direction of University of Alabama alumnus Michael Thomas Walker.

“Michael Walker is a wonderful ?director, and everyone has enjoyed working with him,” said Adam Miller, managing director of Theatre Tuscaloosa. “He ?brings a fresh, up-beat energy to directing that has reinvigorated all of us and inspired the cast to give 110 percent.”

“Hairspray,” set in 1962 Baltimore, Maryland, follows Tracy Turnblad on her journey to become a dancer on “The ?Corny Collins Show,” a local television dance program. Tracy eventually becomes a ?regular dancer on the show and ?immediately takes action toward integrating the show. “Hairspray” is not only about a ?teenage girl’s dream to dance on television. It also addresses the struggle with ?racial inequality during the 1960s.

“The best part about ‘Hairspray’ is that it is a socially conscious allegory wrapped in a sweet candy coating,” Miller said. “At its heart, ‘Hairspray’ is a story about prejudice, discrimination and the integration ?of TV.”

Theatre Tuscaloosa’s production of “Hairspray” also includes current University of Alabama students Gavin Dover, Craig First, Kaylee MacKnight, Drey Mitchell, Will Travis and Ashlyn Lambert.

“I’m playing Seaweed J. Stubbs in ‘Hairspray’, and I’m so excited to walk in his shoes every night,” said Will Travis, a senior majoring in musical theatre. “I wanted to play Seaweed because, ?despite all of the racial inequality he must have dealt with during that time, he ?still finds joy in dancing, and he used that to propel his passion in encouraging others to ?dance along.”

Seaweed is one of the characters with whom Tracy goes to school, and he also dances on “The Corny Collins Show” on “Negro Day,” as it is referred to in the show. Penny Pingleton, played by Kaylee MacKnight, is Tracy’s best friend and ends up falling in love with Seaweed.

“One thing that really stood out to me about Penny was that she doesn’t see color,” said MacKnight, a senior majoring in musical theatre. “That’s what really attracted me to her character. She falls in love with Seaweed regardless of color. Penny definitely looks at Seaweed for his heart, not the color of his skin, and that is something I can relate to.”

“Hairspray” will run July 18 to July 27 in the Bean-Brown Theatre on the Shelton State Campus. Performances will take place Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays and Wednesdays ?at 2 p.m.

Tickets are $22 for adults, $18 for seniors and $14 for students and children. All proceeds from the final dress rehearsal on Thursday, at 7:30 p.m. will go toward the Charlie Dennis Memorial ?Scholarship Fund.