Fall music festivals worth the drive

Dashboard Confessional was one of the headliners at the Voodoo Experience last year. (Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

McCall Scofield

It’s not everyday that college students get to hear the phrase, “sit back, relax and enjoy the show,” particularly because of relentless homework, cramming for exams or the exhaustion of daily life in Tuscaloosa. Incidentally, there are four music festivals coming to the Southeast within the next few months. These festivals center around a significant number of headlining bands. Therefore, students can finally sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Here is current information for four different music festivals within driving distance from Tuscaloosa.

Music Midtown Festival 2014

Location: Piedmont Park in Atlanta, Georgia.

Date: September 19-20

Prices: Two-Day general Admission is $125; Two-Day VIP package is $500; Two-day Super VIP package is $1,000

Music Midtown began in 1994 but took a six-year break in 2004 and re-established in 2011. Eminem and Jack White will headline this year’s festival. Other acts include Zac Brown Band, John Mayer, Lana Del Ray, Lorde, Iggy Azalea, Bastille and NEEDTOBREATHE. Since its journey began, Music Midtown has manifested as Atlanta’s premier music festival. The approximate drive time from Tuscaloosa to Piedmont Park is around three hours.

Live on the Green 2014

Location: Public Square Park in Nashville, Tennessee.

Date: August 14, 21 and 28; September 4, 5 and 6.

Prices: Free 

Live on the Green Music Festival celebrates Nashville’s devotion to music and has a mission statement that supports the opportunity to expose live music free of charge. Essentially, it is devoted to being Nashville’s premier environmentally-friendly music festival. Live on the Green’s lineup includes Cage the Elephant, The Head and the Heart, Ingrid Michaelson, Capital Cities, City and Colour and Jake Bugg. Public Square Park sits on a two-acre grass field in the heart of downtown Nashville. The festival took off in 2009 and has retained more than 200,000 fans worldwide. The approximate drive time from Tuscaloosa to Public Square Park is three and a half hours.

Voodoo Experience 2014

Location: New Orleans City Park in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Date: October 31– November 2

Prices: Three-day general admission is $150; Three-day VIP is $400; Three-day Right of Passage “Super VIP” is $2,500 for a two-person package; Camp Voodoo is $3,500 for a two-person package.

The Voodoo Experience 2014 is booked and staged under Live Nation Entertainment, one of the largest producers and promoters of live entertainment. The festival will feature Foo Fighters, Outkast, Skrillex, Arctic Monkeys, Zedd, Flux Pavilion, Pretty Lights and many more. The Voodoo Experience has four stages, and the day-to-day schedule will be released in September. The approximate drive time from Tuscaloosa to New Orleans City Park is around four hours.

Suwannee Hulaween 2014

Location: The Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, Florida.

Date: October 31– November 2

Prices: As of now, general admission tickets are $209. Once these tickets sell out, the price will rise to $239. If you purchase a ticket at the gate, it is $269. Kids ages 10 and under get free admission. Camping tickets are only available at the gate and are $165; Single-day tickets are $90 and will also only be available at the gate.

The second annual Suwannee Hulaween Festival is presented by Silver Wrapper and Purple Hat Productions. The lineup includes The String Cheese Incident, Thievery Corporation, Big Gigantic, Beats Antique and more. The festival is resting on 800 acres of land that sit right along the Suwannee River. There are no overlapping sets during the festival, so guests have plenty of opportunities to see the interactive theme camps. The approximate drive time from Tuscaloosa to Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park is about seven hours.