Food bar serves healthy options

Food bar serves healthy options

Rubino opened the restaurant with her business partner George Harsch last month after taking a fifteen year break from the restaurant business. She said she couldn’t resist the football scene and Alabama scenery and wanted to bring a different flavor to the string of existing Tuscaloosa chain restaurants.

“We saw a need in the community for places that served different foods other than something fried,” said Rubino. “We also noticed that unless it was Waffle House, there weren’t a lot of breakfast places.”

Makayla Huemmer, a senior majoring in elementary education, has visited the new ?eatery twice.

“I had the crab cakes for brunch and they were amazing. You don’t normally find that in a college town,” said Huemmer. “The second time I went I had French toast, and it was definitely some of the best I’ve ?ever had.”

Jackie Howard, a senior majoring in human development, discovered the ?restaurant on Instagram.

“I don’t think anywhere else in Tuscaloosa has food this fresh or healthy. It definitely felt ?like something you’d find in a city,” said Howard.

The newly opened restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and take out dinner Monday ?through Saturday. Sunday brunch is also served. Rubino said weekends generally have a good mix of both permanent Tuscaloosa residents and students. Beginning in September, the Sweet Home Food Bar will open for dinner Thursday through ?Saturday nights.

“Our motto is ‘Be social, eat well’. We just want you to come in and have a great a time,” she said. Sweet Home Food Bar is located off University Blvd, in downtown Tuscaloosa. They are open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and on Sundays brunch is served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.