Campus change demands some students' input

This is my seventh year at the Capstone, and it’s probably the year that the University has been most open to change. In response to last year’s criticism, the sorority rush program has taken quite a number of black women into several different sororities.

Additionally, the University appears to be taking racial issues much more seriously than it has in the past, even when many might not be aware of them. These are good first steps, but we must keep the administration and student groups on campus accountable and continue to push forward.

Everyone at the University has the ability to help move it forward. Freshmen have a great chance to begin influencing the student body that they can apply for right now. The First Year Council is a part of the SGA that provides a voice for freshmen on campus – one amongst many. I would encourage every freshman that doesn’t support the status quo at the University to apply.

Other students can appeal to their SGA Senators and officers to make sure that the University continues to move forward from the small amount of progress we have already achieved. The SGA has begun “Say Hey SGA” to connect with the student body.

This provides a great opportunity for those who have an interest in changing the campus for the better to make sure that their concerns are heard by the SGA. The SGA is not going to take issues seriously unless they hear what the student body thinks is important, and because of that, students absolutely must make their voices heard by contacting those in power.

Additionally, the student groups that have formed over the past couple of years to challenge the problematic status quo need to continue to push themselves. Each group is created with great intentions, but they must continue to push the administration and strive to not become complacent. However, those groups should also try to reach out more to the groups most affected by the University’s explicit and unstated policies alike.

The University of Alabama is currently in the best position since I’ve been here to make lasting changes to promote inclusivity, but the students have to continue to push. The administration and SGA aren’t likely to do anything drastic without students reaching out and explaining the problems they encounter. Because of this, students must make it a priority not to sit back and assume that things will get done without their input.

Matthew Bailey is a third-year law school student. His column runs biweekly.