Crimsonettes find home at Bama

Crimsonettes find home at Bama

Not every university has a widely known majorette line, but at The University of Alabama, the Crimsonettes are celebrated.

Haley Williams, a Crimsonette and senior majoring in general studies in human environmental sciences, said 
the Crimsonettes are an important part of UA.

“It’s a blast,” Williams said. “It’s a lot of hard work, but it’s absolutely worth it being able to represent The University of Alabama with my best friends and do what I love.”

Williams said she always wanted to twirl in college. She did her research on schools with majorette teams and found UA to be a perfect fit. Williams has been nationally competitive in baton for years, and said she found the idea of a large team appealing.

Hailing from Michigan, Williams did not realize the recognition associated with being a Crimsonette. She said she considers it an honor to be a part of such a historic tradition.

“When I first came here, I didn’t really realize how well-known they are on campus,” Williams said. “Being able to see our posters everywhere, being so recognizable and just being part of such a historic institution within our university, it’s an honor. It’s really exciting to be a part of something so big and that has such a heavy tradition on campus.”

She said doesn’t think the fame is weird and appreciates the respect and excitement shown to her by fans.

“It’s definitely a privilege,” Williams said. “It’s really, really exciting to see so many people get excited when they figure out that you’re a Crimsonette, or they see you in your costume on campus or just wearing a Crimsonette T-shirt to class. It’s nice to know people respect what we do.”

Williams took last season off to compete as Miss Michigan in the Miss America Pageant. This year she has come back and taken on the job of captain of the team.

Maggie Gehlsen, an Iowa native, is a sophomore majoring in restaurant, hotel and meetings management and telecommunication and film. This is Gehlsen’s second year 
as a Crimsonette and she said last year there were two captains, but this year Williams is taking on the leadership position by herself.

Gehlsen said Williams’ greatest quality is that she is able to listen to each member of the diverse group.

“She is open-minded and welcomes feedback,” Gehlson said. “She is funny and laid back most of the time.”

Williams said she has a true passion for performing. Even though being a Crimsonette is a major time commitment, 
she said there is nothing she doesn’t value about being a part of the team.

“She’s a great leader,” said Katie Engleson, a junior Crimsonette majoring in telecommunication and film. “She makes everyone feel equal and gives out a lot of 
good advice.”